Narrowband

What's the best single upgrade you've ever made to a setup?

iPeace

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are lots of little things that can and do make life one heck of a lot easier - telrad, dew shield, Orion waistcase accessory holder (look it up), as well as some you can do yourself - adding valve caps to collimation screws. I made this messy little device that you stick on your Cheshire collimator, put your phone in with the camera on and a mirror shows you the view when you're fiddling with the primary.

I have a few...

On my 16inch dob I have a secondary heater behind the mirror which keeps things clear all night. I also have a diy push to with dual encoders which means I can really hunt for very faint dso targets when star hopping has proved difficult.                       The other big upgrade was to decide to get a dedicated travel scope for weekends away , and a skywatcher 127 mak goto with some old celestron plossls have revolutionised things for me with regard to this .... I never thought a step down in aperture would open up more of the sky but a 127 under a dark sky is quite impressive (until the 16inch crashes the party of course !)      Cheers

11 hours ago, Joe12345 said:

There are lots of little things that can and do make life one heck of a lot easier <snip>.

Indeed. Picking out just one improvement is very limiting. It's the combination of things that makes live easier.

Better question to ask is: which of your scope upgrades do benefit most from?

Rowan's belt mode for my HEQ5 (less noise and reduced tracking errors)

For 1/10th the price of the mount it improved my guiding and tracking significantly not to mention the noise factor when slewing.

12 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

Steve beat me to it, but moving to a dark site. In 'kit versus site,' site wins every time, and by a country mile.

Olly

My scope's size already allows me to take it to a dark site, but you are right. My little C8 from a dark site beats our university's 16" RC from the city on deep sky targets.

48 minutes ago, dweller25 said:

Binoviewers :headbang:

Totally agree - binoveiwers are another great buy! Apparently don't work for everyone, but I took a punt and found them great for planets/moon/solar.

If I was to expand my list, an O-III filter, Baader solar film and binoveiwers really expanded the capability of my 250px ;)

Archived