SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

What's the best single upgrade you've ever made to a setup?

iPeace

Which single, specific upgrade - to any particular setup you've had - has made the most difference for you? More QI points for answers which do not involve replacing the scope itself (or indeed, the entire setup).

I'm still thinking about what my own answer would be...

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Possibly not an upgrade, but for me it was the discovery of Lodestar Live software which allowed me to get so much more out of my existing equipment by using it for Video Astronomy (aka Electronically Assisted Observing) which I had never considered.

Just now, RobertI said:

Possibly not an upgrade, but for me it was the discovery of Lodestar Live software which allowed me to get so much more out of my existing equipment by using it for Video Astronomy (aka Electronically Assisted Observing) which I had never considered.

+1; turned my 8" F4 scope into a real deep space machine, and opened up entire catalogues of DSOs I wouldn't have dreamt of seeing otherwise.

Martin 

The Sky & Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas.

Since I was given it by my Mum 13 months ago my DSO count has dramatically increased. I used to think my observing site (back yard) was not too good for DSO's but since getting the above and learning to use it with my scopes I've had sessions where I've seen dozens of objects new to me.

Thanks Mum !

41 minutes ago, brantuk said:

I think the best ever scope upgrade was when they fixed Hubble after it's views were initially found to be a bit bent and they sent a shuttle up with some correcting gear to install. :)

Still hideously under-mounted, even after the upgrade

The 60mm RACI I bought immediately after purchasing my Celestron C8 (the 6x30 that comes with it pretty much useless) and then a Telrad to get scope pointed in the right place to start with.  The combination of these two makes star-hopping to those DSOs a cinch. :) 

Archived