Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Transparency and Seeing... what's that all about then Ted?

coliea

As a relative noob I often here the more experienced guys talking about “transparency” and “seeing” while rating both on a hi-low numerical scale.

Are these ratings merely a personal estimation (as I suppose they must be to an extent) or is there some sort of scale that is used as a general reference? Pointers to relevant websites would be appreciated.

Cheers

Col

think i'm class 5 or 6 on the bortle, anyone know a class 1 or 2 site?

I think I'm right in saying the Gegenschein was first discovered by Humboldt in south America in the nineteenth century, which shows how faint it is. So no class 1 sites in Europe - though I seem to recall reading a comment by Patrick Moore that he saw it from England during the blackout in world war 2.

Col,

I have nothing of relevance to add to this thread. I just kept getting the Father Ted reference and laughing!

Anthony

:grin: Glad you got the reference Anthony. I do sometimes feel a like Father Dougal when I realize how much I've got to learn!

I prefer the Chesterfield scale for transparency

Good - it's about to rain

Bad - it's raining

:laughing3: :laughing3: :laughing3:

lol i like that.

very useful in today changing climate lol

Just goes to show that Arizona skies are superb. I see ZL on a regular basis from my back yard, and often see Gegenshein when I think to look. Some of my mates think of ZL as light pollution, especially around the Messier Marathon when it generally obscures M74 and M77 at twilight.

I'll get my coat.

Archived