SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Upgrading my scope

Hi everyone,

I currently have a Celestron first scope 4.5" Newtonian on an EQ2 mount (f/8). However I have been considering an upgrade.

I would mainly use my telescope for planetary/lunar observation and some galaxies/nebulae/DSOs with a view to imaging in the future, but not yet.

I have been looking at the Skywatcher explorer 200p EQ5. What is everyones thoughts on this scope? Is it worthwhile? http://www.firstlightoptics.com/reflectors/skywatcher-explorer-200p-eq5.html

Thanks and happy observing!

Gary

cheers guys thanks for the vote of confidence! is the mount pretty decent or would I be better with a dob? I would be interested in imaging planets and dso's in the future, just at a basic level to start with, would the scope and eq5 mount make this possible?

thanks again

7 minutes ago, Garys90 said:

cheers guys thanks for the vote of confidence! is the mount pretty decent or would I be better with a dob? I would be interested in imaging planets and dso's in the future, just at a basic level to start with, would the scope and eq5 mount make this possible?

thanks again

as you say, always better off with a dob :happy7: bigger the better

The EQ v Dob debate will never end ;)

The EQ5 mount is sturdy enough for visual astronomy and can be upgraded to a GOTO mount at a later date (I did that). Downside is that it takes a while to get level and polar align, but if you are only using it from one specific part of your garden, you need only really do that the once. You then mark on the tripod legs where they should be set to, and put markers on the floor to show where the legs should be (I glued Vibration Suppression Pads on the concrete driveway for that).

The Dobsonian mount is far easier to set up, but is not very good for astro-photography unless you are shooting the Moon.

I intend to make a Dob mount out of thick plywood sometime soon for those grab-and-go sessions, something you may want to look into if you decide to buy the EQ5....

I've just sold one of these. It's a great scope and I did a little bit of photography with it (dslr), the thing I then found was that I was spending money on it and the real photography was still a long way off. I fairly quickly abandoned any thoughts of doing photography, decided that wasn't what I wanted to do, put the mount in eq mode and eventually sold it in favour of a dob, which I am much happier with. I did have 9 great months with it though, so please don't let me put you off.

Archived