Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Has anyone been to this Astro club? Are they a friendly club? (Wycombe Astronomical Society)

Not a member but have been to open days and occasionally use the forum,  yep they are a friendly bunch, have a good web site and always something going on, do outreach for local schools an stuff, talks look interesting. I am sure some Wycombe astronomers are on the lounge.  The other side of Wycombe from London but easy to get to with a car, lots of parking etc. 

1 hour ago, Mick J said:

Not a member but have been to open days and occasionally use the forum,  yep they are a friendly bunch, have a good web site and always something going on, do outreach for local schools an stuff, talks look interesting. I am sure some Wycombe astronomers are on the lounge.  The other side of Wycombe from London but easy to get to with a car, lots of parking etc. 

Thanks Mick J, I'll definitely be going along to their next meet.

P

Hi P,

I am a member of WAS (Wycombe Astronomy Society) joining the club in September 2015.

Are they a friendly lot and did I get a good welcome?    ....YES.....

They have fortnightly meetings, either a talk or a practical evening, if the skies are clear then the observatory is used.

They arranged a great event before Christmas for local kids called Kosmiz Kidz, with a Russian Space suit for kids to climb into and a planetarium.

It was a great success. 

In March 2016, we did an event at Waddesdon Manor with the National Trust of a talk to about 40 guests about the Universe and then had an outdoor viewing session on the terrace by the fountains. Great views of Jupiter and the Orion Nebula.

I had the same concerns about joining a club, but it appears I struck lucky....

Cheers

Adrian

On 19 March 2016 at 16:29, Adrian Condon said:

Hi P,

I am a member of WAS (Wycombe Astronomy Society) joining the club in September 2015.

Are they a friendly lot and did I get a good welcome?    ....YES.....

They have fortnightly meetings, either a talk or a practical evening, if the skies are clear then the observatory is used.

They arranged a great event before Christmas for local kids called Kosmiz Kidz, with a Russian Space suit for kids to climb into and a planetarium.

It was a great success. 

In March 2016, we did an event at Waddesdon Manor with the National Trust of a talk to about 40 guests about the Universe and then had an outdoor viewing session on the terrace by the fountains. Great views of Jupiter and the Orion Nebula.

I had the same concerns about joining a club, but it appears I struck lucky....

Cheers

Adrian

Hi Adrian,

Thanks for your reply. I'll be popping along to the next meet which I believe is Thursday 7th :)

Might be a silly question but, do I bring my telescope?

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul,

It is a Practical evening, 

P) Observing the planets; use of web-cams for imaging

When Thu 7 Apr 2016 20:00 – 22:00
Where

Woodrow High House, Cherry Ln, Amersham, Buckinghamshire HP7 0QG, United Kingdom

If the skies are clear then we may speed up the talk/demo and go out to the observatory for a hour or two.

Some members may have scopes in their car boots, so if you wish there will not be a problem if you bring your scope.

However, since it will be your first meeting you may get to meet more members if you leave your scope at home and view through other scopes.

Anyway, the choice is yours, either way you will be made welcome.

Once you find the big house, there is a little annex off to the side of the big building near the games hall. We hold the practicals in the little annex.

Hope to see you there...

Cheers

Adrian

On 24 March 2016 at 08:06, Adrian Condon said:

Hi Paul,

It is a Practical evening, 

P) Observing the planets; use of web-cams for imaging

When Thu 7 Apr 2016 20:00 – 22:00
Where

Woodrow High House, Cherry Ln, Amersham, Buckinghamshire HP7 0QG, United Kingdom

If the skies are clear then we may speed up the talk/demo and go out to the observatory for a hour or two.

Some members may have scopes in their car boots, so if you wish there will not be a problem if you bring your scope.

However, since it will be your first meeting you may get to meet more members if you leave your scope at home and view through other scopes.

Anyway, the choice is yours, either way you will be made welcome.

Once you find the big house, there is a little annex off to the side of the big building near the games hall. We hold the practicals in the little annex.

Hope to see you there...

Cheers

Adrian

?? See you then....just look out for the Newbie ?

Archived