SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

This evening Double Transit and GRS

Davesellars

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just pack in after been out for about two hours:thumbsup: It was a very nice double transit!

Seeing was quite good in the beginning, 4 bands visible even in 68x finder EP with C8, binoviewed about halv of time in 230x, with Ganymede just under the 2:d north band, and its shadow between the north bands, GRS about the same E-W position as Ganymede itself. IO got to the edge of Jupiter about 21:30, its shadows appeared about half an hours later.:smiley: Seeing started to deteriorate, with 2:nd north band seen only intermittently, had to drop down to 160x, Later even 120x when the 2:n south band almost vanished. A spectacular thing with binoviewer was that Ganymede's shadow seemed like floating clearly in front of Jupiter all the time:smiley::thumbsup:

I only just saw this thread.  I was looking at Jupiter earlier and I thought to myself "is that a shadow of a moon I can see on jupiter" and I also saw the grs it was so exciting!  I saw one moon just below jupiter and maybe a dot of another moon just appearing above

...and there's Io, starting to poke out from in front of the planet. It's where I thought I saw it, it was travelling along "below" its shadow, for most of the way lost in the background of the Northern dark band...only later on did I start to recognize the irregularity which must have been Io, and turns out to be indeed...what a great scope this TV85 is!

...and there she is! Didn't see Europa appear as a "pimple" before showing up in its entirety; I suppose that does make sense because the moon was catching so little light behind the planet. Anyway: Europa is still up there; a few more minutes bliss and I'm for bed.

Clear sky - good show - saw Ganymede go onto the disc, then Europa went behind from the other side.

As Io approached, I clearly saw the shadow of Ganymede (to the side of a main belt), before Io went onto the disc as well.

Great fortune to be able to see such an event!

Doug.

Conditions here were the best for quite some time, the transits I knew about, the Great Red Spot at the same time was a wonderful bonus,

lot's of good detail, at times picture perfect views, the Great Red Spot stood out tonight thanks to my Baader Neodymium filter, it makes 

such a difference  to the detail and colour, with the Moon being quite bright it certainly did it's job, when conditions are like this it is definitely

worth the long wait. 

Great view with tge Vixen eventually. 100% cloud despite the forecast and then some breaks appeared around 10.30 and I spent the next half hour  cloud dodging.  The GRS had gone and Ganymede had left the disc but the two shadows were there close together. They were sharp black bullet holes with one obviously larger than the other. I could then see Io as it reached the limb darkened area and then watched it leave the disc as the cloud closed over again. Lovely detail in the bands even without the GRS and I was struck by the clarity of the shadows. A single small shadow transit scheduled tonight . Oh boy, I'm gonna love this scope! 

I came home just before 20:00 UTM and started observing by then. I could clearly see the shadow of Ganymedes with 62x magn. And Io beside the planet. I checked a Jupiter app and saw that the GRS also should be on this side. As I hadn't seen it yet, I started looking. It was just visible. Then I tried my 8mm eyepiece (187x), didn't get a view as sharp as I have had before in that eyepiece, but I was capable of clearly seeing the shadow, the moon itself and the GRS! Then I started waiting for Io. I could see a white disk coming in front of the upper big cloud belt. After a lot more waiting, the GRS had moved quite a bit and finally I could see Io's shadow. In the beginning it wasn't so easy, because it had little contrast with the cloud belt it was laying on. But when it moved on, it became better visible, before the lower half of the belt. By that time, I couldn't see Io itself any more.

I saw more detail than ever before on Jupiter. 2 of the broad cloud belts, a narrow cloud belt below the 2 broad ones. And some browning background on the north pole. And I was really delighted to finally see the GRS. I stopped observing at about 21:15 UTM, so I didn't watch the whole transit.

By the way, the sky was only partly clear. There was a lot of thin clouds, but luckily they didn't cover Jupiter, although they came very close.

1 hour ago, Linda said:

I came home just before 20:00 UTM and started observing by then. I could clearly see the shadow of Ganymedes with 62x magn. And Io beside the planet. I checked a Jupiter app and saw that the GRS also should be on this site. As a hadn't seen it yet, I started looking. It was just visible. Then I tried my 8mm eyepiece (187x), didn't get a view as sharp as I have had before in that eyepiece, but I was capable of clearly seeing the shadow, the moon itself and the GRS! Then I started waiting for Io. I could see a white disk coming in front of the upper big cloud belt. After a lot more waiting, the GRS had moved quite a bit and finally I could see Io's shadow. In the beginning is wasn't so easy, because it had little contrast with the cloud belt it was laying on. But when it moved on, it became better visible, before the lower half of the belt. By that time, I couldn't see Io itself any more.

I saw more detail than ever before on Jupiter. 2 of the broad cloud belt, a narrow cloud belt below the 2 broad ones. And some browning background on the north pole. And I was really delighted to finally see the GRS. I stopped observing at about 21:15 UTM, so I didn't watch the whole transit.

By the way, the sky was only partly clear. There was a lot of thin clouds, but luckily they didn't cover Jupiter, although they came very close.

Congrats on seeing the GRS, Linda!  I thought I briefly saw some extra detail in a belt, but it wasn't clear enough to be sure - so I'm still waiting for the first viewing!  I have managed four belts however.  And Ganymede's shadow last night.

Doug.

10 hours ago, Pondus said:

To me it looked like there were plenty white areas/spots on SEB (22:00 gmt)

I'd second that! Never seen these before. In previous weeks, that area of the SEB has always looked to me like more of a bright lane dividing the darker belt. Interesting to see these white spots.

Fantastic show! Lovely seeing the solar system in action as you watch! First time I've noticed the moons are different colours and sizes. I though the sense of colour really changed as the moons moved from mid-disk to near the limb, and out into space again.

Europa was terrific too. Seeing it appear out of empty space was enchanting. I hope this wasn't my brain playing tricks, but mid eclipse it looked taller than it did wide. Did anyone else notice?

6 minutes ago, Size9Hex said:

Europa was terrific too. Seeing it appear out of empty space was enchanting. I hope this wasn't my brain playing tricks, but mid eclipse it looked taller than it did wide. Did anyone else notice?

Didn't quite notice that; for me it was more of a ghostly apparition between blinks; could not make out the gradual emergence, it was just suddenly there in shadow, at first very dim and slowly getting brighter as it coasted along. Our difference in aperture may have come into play here... :icon_biggrin:

Archived