Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2.thumb.jpg.7719b6f2fbecda044d407d8aba503777.jpg

Davesellars

This evening Double Transit and GRS

Tonight there is Ganymede and Io double transit plus the GRS in the centre at approx 9pm for those lucky enough to have clear skies.  Ideally, Jupiter needs to be higher for better seeing but could be a really nice one to image.  It's a bit early for me to get out and set up in time but if it's clear I'll try my best :)  Good luck everyone to see this!

• Like 7

Thanks for the alert. Unfortunately I have a meeting at 20 UTM, but I hope to be finished before the moons are gone. I haven't seen any moons passing Jupiter, yet.

And, each time I watch Jupiter, the GRS is on the opposite site.

Great.  Thanks for the heads up!

Should be a good one!

paul

Thanks Dave, it does look like an interesting one. Forecast is promising too!!

Should be a wonderful sight. Unfortunately the forecast here is not promising, but you never know.

48 minutes ago, Linda said:

Thanks for the alert. Unfortunately I have a meeting at 20 UTM, but I hope to be finished before the moons are gone. I haven't seen any moons passing Jupiter, yet.

And, each time I watch Jupiter, the GRS is on the opposite site.

I know what you mean!  Ever since I started back in 2014 and the very numerous times I observed - EVERY SINGLE TIME the GRS was on the wrong side...  It was only until recently I caught it with my 80mm frac (typical I wasn't using my 8" SCT that night...)  However, I saw plenty of Moon transits!

Thanks a lot for the heads up:thumbsup: forecast here looks promising, hoping they're as precise as cloudy forecast:smiley:

Just spotted this on my Jupiter Moons app. Looks good. Weather forecasts are contradictory but well worth a punt 

Hoping for s clear sky, looks promising. Seem to be spending all my time on Jupiter recently,

Thanks Dave! I wouldn't have spotted this if you hadn't posted. The scope is out to cool. Just saw Ganymede as a little dot just off the edge of the disk. Time to sort the kids, have some tea, and pop out later for a better view hopefully!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Joe12345 said:

Thanks!

Silly question - I assume you mean a shadow transit? Just checking.

It's both a double moon and double shadow transit, plus the GRS

• Like 1

Just noticed this myself by chance looking at the " Jupiters Moons" app on my iPad

The scopes outside cooling so hoping the clouds stay away

Just spotted a bonus. If you stay out for an extra ten minutes after the (shadow) transit finishes, Europa will come out of the planet's shadow around 23:09 - 23:13.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Size9Hex said:

Just spotted a bonus. If you stay out for an extra ten minutes after the (shadow) transit finishes, Europa will come out of the planet's shadow around 23:09 - 23:13.

Well spotted!!

I had this one in the diary, but as ever the weather seems to have kicked in......

Chris

Spoke too soon. It was clear here around an hour ago.

... The clouds have just rolled in ?

Fully clouded out here :p ... ClearOutside forecast horribly wrong again...  Was struggling to get family stuff done before having to set out anyway.  Hope others have better luck!

15 minutes ago, tony4563 said:

Spoke too soon. It was clear here around an hour ago.

... The clouds have just rolled in ?

Same here!

Had some wonderful views just now. Pretty decent seeing, both shadows and the GRS easily spotted, and one moon (I think Io) visible on the cloud belt. I have been switching between the XW 10, Delos 8 and XW 7, admiring the view at various magnifications. Great sight indeed.

Rather frustratingly, I have neither a working RA motor, not my favourite camera for recording this kind of event, so cannot image this. The controller of the motor packed in on Saturday, and the ASI120MC has just been sold. A new controller and camera (ASI224MC) will arrive tomorrow. Typical :rolleyes:

• Like 4

Very good seeing here (210x  21:30gmt). In addition to GRS and the 2 shadows I can see Ganymedes in the white zone,

but not Io on the cloudbelt, bit odd.

Edit : My eye is partially ruined after observing the moon.

Edited by Pondus
  • Like 1

Viewing conditions here very wobbly, but I do see GRS and two shadows, one (the Northern) more clearly than the other. The moons themselves I cannot make out. Wobbly as it is, it's still a great sight!

• Like 1

Cloudy here despite the clear forecast. Glad some of you at least are getting some nice views.

Lost track of Ganymedes until it was Clear of Jupiter. Didnt detect Io.

To me it looked like there were plenty white areas/spots on SEB (22:00 gmt)

Had to og Down to 150x.

Edit : My first view of GRS in 2016 btw.

Edited by Pondus
  • Like 1