SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

This evening Double Transit and GRS

Davesellars

Tonight there is Ganymede and Io double transit plus the GRS in the centre at approx 9pm for those lucky enough to have clear skies.  Ideally, Jupiter needs to be higher for better seeing but could be a really nice one to image.  It's a bit early for me to get out and set up in time but if it's clear I'll try my best :)  Good luck everyone to see this!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the alert. Unfortunately I have a meeting at 20 UTM, but I hope to be finished before the moons are gone. I haven't seen any moons passing Jupiter, yet.

And, each time I watch Jupiter, the GRS is on the opposite site.

48 minutes ago, Linda said:

Thanks for the alert. Unfortunately I have a meeting at 20 UTM, but I hope to be finished before the moons are gone. I haven't seen any moons passing Jupiter, yet.

And, each time I watch Jupiter, the GRS is on the opposite site.

I know what you mean!  Ever since I started back in 2014 and the very numerous times I observed - EVERY SINGLE TIME the GRS was on the wrong side...  It was only until recently I caught it with my 80mm frac (typical I wasn't using my 8" SCT that night...)  However, I saw plenty of Moon transits!

Thanks Dave! I wouldn't have spotted this if you hadn't posted. The scope is out to cool. Just saw Ganymede as a little dot just off the edge of the disk. Time to sort the kids, have some tea, and pop out later for a better view hopefully!

14 minutes ago, Size9Hex said:

Just spotted a bonus. If you stay out for an extra ten minutes after the (shadow) transit finishes, Europa will come out of the planet's shadow around 23:09 - 23:13.

Well spotted!!

Had some wonderful views just now. Pretty decent seeing, both shadows and the GRS easily spotted, and one moon (I think Io) visible on the cloud belt. I have been switching between the XW 10, Delos 8 and XW 7, admiring the view at various magnifications. Great sight indeed.

Rather frustratingly, I have neither a working RA motor, not my favourite camera for recording this kind of event, so cannot image this. The controller of the motor packed in on Saturday, and the ASI120MC has just been sold. A new controller and camera (ASI224MC) will arrive tomorrow. Typical :rolleyes:

Very good seeing here (210x  21:30gmt). In addition to GRS and the 2 shadows I can see Ganymedes in the white zone,

but not Io on the cloudbelt, bit odd.

Edit : My eye is partially ruined after observing the moon.

Lost track of Ganymedes until it was Clear of Jupiter. Didnt detect Io.

To me it looked like there were plenty white areas/spots on SEB (22:00 gmt)

Had to og Down to 150x.

Edit : My first view of GRS in 2016 btw.

Archived