SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Cygnus - sh2-91 & M1-92

scarp15

Exploring nebula within Orion has become a none event this Winter, for myself at least, therefore I have refocused my attention towards looking ahead to the eventual arrival of Cygnus. Glancing through some past notes, I had made a reference to two potential yet undoubtedly challenging targets.

Sharpless 2-091 is also referred to, I believe as, the other Veil, a faint supernova remnant with a Veil like filament structure. In the vicinity is a planetary nebula M1-92, also known as The Footprint Nebula. These two objects are located close to Albireo and more immediately nearer to 12 Cygni. They require aperture (perhaps at least 10"), low power, an 0III filter and of course dark transparent skies, to attempt when the position of Cygnus is high. I believe that the filament in sh2-91, in the right conditions, is quite possibly bright enough to be seen.

Just something to aspire to as a challenge in the coming months, has anyone any past experience with observing or attempting / aspiring to observe these or some of the other lesser known sharpless nebula within Cygnus? 

I have seen Sh 2-91 but it required a 20" and an OIII filter with a wide field eyepiece. I have tried on other occasions and not found it. It was seen on the same night with an 18" so I think that a 10" is far too small for this scope, at least firom the UK. M1-92 will be easier but it is quite small and will require higher power to find. I think M1-92 is a reflection nebula so a filter may not help.

Owen

Thanks, yes I think that sh2-91 will be out of my range. M1-92 also known as Minkowki's Footprint is intriguing and as you indicate more realistic at more moderate aperture, resolvable at high power. I have read it described as a proto-planetary and at high magnification can be split into two fuzzy components. Interesting image on this link: 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M1-92#/media/File:Minkowski_92.jpg

In terms of the Sharpless catalogue in this region, Sh2-119 near to Cygni 68 and using the Pelican as a guide might be detectable. I had also read that the Egg Nebula is observable with moderate aperture, though again requiring high power to resolve as non Stellar, an OIII required.

A nice and challenging plan Iain! :) 

Maybe your 14" has a chance to spot Sh 2-91 from a dark sky..? 

Not sure if you have already read this thread http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/500583-supernova-bubble-nr-albireo/ but people (among which also David Knisely) seem to use huge telescopes for viewing it. From 14" to 28". One member over there showed sketches and declared that he saw it with at 6" though :shocked: ! 

Should be fun to give a try! :rolleyes: 

Edit: 
Bob King from S&T reports: "To see it, you'll need a 10-inch or larger telescope (some claim a 6-inch can do it!) under a dark sky and a narrowband O III or similar filter to enhance the nebula's contrast." -

See more at: http://www.skyandtelescope.com/observing/celestial-objects-to-watch/summers-overlooked-deep-sky-objects-08072014/#sthash.CifFr7sU.dpuf"

Very interesting link to CN, Piero, those are some faint fuzzy hunters:smiley:

Even though not seen any of these, I'm kind of agree with Mel Bartel's experience, sh2-91 is a faint arc about 120'x2', which should be doable a 10" under good sky. Big dobs those guys used on it were mostly for sketch more details.

Mi 1-92, on the other hand, does need larger scopes, its tiny size (8"x16") will need something like 500x or upwards to be recognized as non-stella. Smaller scopes has long passed their diffraction limit in this high mag. hint: David took 25" for hunting Mi 1-92:smiley: he just happened to see Sh2-91

The other veil was a target I looked for last summer.

I had possible sightings but couldn't be sure. Simonfromsussex also had a bash with his 22" but again wasn't sure IIRC. Maybe this season coming......... :) 

Looks like this will make for an interesting quest, a kind of Summer HH challenge, will be interesting to read of forth coming reports if anyone is successful. Certainly be no harm in including, whilst exploring the nebula realms of Cygnus.

Tried sh91 last year but didn't have much luck, will need a bigger tool as it is quite filamentary and I need a smaller field of view, same goes for sh240 :-(

sh119 is quite nice near the North America. What about the propellor neb nearby? I am also wondering about sh27 in ophiuchus.....

some nice suggestions.

Cheers

peter

You will see the Little Veil from your dark site Iain, when you find the chain of stars around 12 Cygni you're on the opposite side, but the chain points through 12 Cyg to the nebula close by. Optimum magnification is key as is keeping the bright star at bay. It is very faint and looks nothing like the images- its a ghost of a streak...

The large IC1318 Butterfly neb is a great warming up place to be and is always on the list as is the Crescent neb. Good luck hunting Iain!

Thanks Gerry and Peter, a lot to look forward to when the Cygnus season is upon us.  In terms of keeping 12 Cygni at bay and for optimum magnification, assuming that this object is not too big, I may perhaps try my 25mm TV plossl on this target 64x, this is currently my lowest power e.p and perhaps the lesser glass elements may help? Which eyepiece responded best for this Gerry i.e. your 30mm ES?

I have also yet to see the Cocoon Nebula.

Yes, the tried and true 25mm TV plossl will work for you, I used the narrow 25mm-6.7mm zoom with success as well. The Little Veil is very very faint and knowing exactly where to look will make things much easier. The longer FL scope likes the wide 30mm ES 82 as it narrows it up quite a bit. That small chain of stars seems to draw my attention away from the right spot. Find HIP 96687 and stare and stare... there are 2 close mag 10 "eyeballs" just underneath it for reference.

I would say that using an eyepiece that responds to an OIII well will help out a lot and less glass isn't necessarily better. Throw your 21E at it for a try too.....

Archived