Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

1.25" or 2" which is best and why.

Pete58

Hi,

I am new to Astronomy, i have owned a scope an 8" Starquest Dobsonian. But have just had to sell it due to injury and so am now going for a scope with a motor drive. I wanted to find out which eyepiece is going to be best for me a 1.25" or 2" and why other than the price that is. I really want to be able to see deep field views as well as planetary, so want a couple of eyepieces that will do both. I will also be doing some astrophotography WHEN I CANDO SO CORRECTLY.

Thank You

Pete

2" eyepieces give wider views than 1.25" ones of the same focal length so they are used for low power, expansive viewing. For medium to high power 1.25" eyepieces are used because you don't need the fatter barrels to get good fields of view in those shorter focal lengths.

Often folks will have a set that is mostly 1.25" eyepieces with a 2" for the low power / wide field views.

Archived