Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Did you learn anything new at SGL XI?

Jonk

For me, one of the main things I learnt was never underestimate dew attacks!

I was really honestly surprised at the amount of water on everything by about 11pm, and how much there was to dry out in the morning.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've learnt never to look through an ethos because you will want one. I was also over confident with my dew shield/hairdryer.  i could do with a dew strip for the secondary. Also camping next to 16" to 20" scopes makes the 250px look like a toy. In short I need a really big dob, some televue eps and a secondary dew strip.  Who mentioned selling the wife???

I learned that I actually DO know how to collimate pretty damn well (got the guru that is Moonshane to check it). And I've a far better understanding of star hopping again courtesy of Shane.

Great times. 

I learned that not every club or society of people is cliquey, arrogant and self obsessed. Every single person I met or spoke to were friendly, welcoming and helpful. 

I learned (thanks to Martin b  ) how to successfully complete a 2 star alignment followed by a Polar alignment on my Advanced VX mount. 

I learned ( courtesy of Rik ) that if I align my Newtonian's focuser with the mounts counterweight bar, I will not need to continually rotate the newt in its mounting rings in order to see through the eye piece. 

I learned that Stellarium on an iPad is NOT a good idea unless the whole screen is covered by a Red filter. 

I learned lots of things from many people and I am grateful to you all. 

All the best

Bob

I learned that two sleeping bags are better than one ?, freezing on the first night but nice and warm after that. Couldn't move mind you and nearly had an asthma attack trying to zip them both up but much better than being cold ??

I also learned that Jupiter looked fabulous through a wide range of scopes. Different in each of them but all good. I viewed it through my Tak and 8" newt, an 8" SCT, Kerry's Vixen 150ED, Nick's 6" achromatic and Derek's 102 f11 and 16" dob. Very nice to have a last look through the Vixen, stunning as ever.

I think Nick's scope was the biggest surprise, with a semi Apo filter it was giving lovely views, as did the f11. I was most disappointed by Derek's 16", thinking it worse than my Tak.....until he collimated it and blew me out of the water ??

Finally I learned the true value of a hairdryer. Nothing to do with personal grooming but it came to my rescue on numerous occasions on Sunday, unfreezing my secondary and keeping my eyepieces clear.

I think moisture affected me (well, my scopes) more than I appreciated at the time and more than ever previously.

I will be looking into dew protection I think for the future or as per Stu, a hairdryer - probably a 12v one as I have a couple of 7ah batteries.

I learnt ,

to celebrate Mark's ( a40farinagolf) birthday , by showing him the proper way to drink single malt.

that a tent can be "teal" colour , Haz won't live that down.

that seeing a "penguin" up an electric post was more exciting than being told it was a pigeon. Twitching with a 102 and a 130 triplet will never be the same.

that astronomers are good folk, cheer !

Nick.

1. I learnt that if your left click on the mousepad is worn out that you can swap the right and left click over.  So I now have a working left click again albeit on the right side.  Got me out of real some real difficulties with imaging and operating the software.  Thanks Jon.  

2. I also learnt how to set up a Wifi hotspot from my mobile so I can use internet on my laptop - thanks Dr Juju.

I learned that two sleeping bags are better than one ?, freezing on the first night but nice and warm after that. Couldn't move mind you and nearly had an asthma attack trying to zip them both up but much better than being cold ??

I've been using 2 sleeping bags for a while, but I got double size as I was fed up with being trapped in a single Sleeping bag and struggling to get out to go to the loo, especially if the zip gets stuck, then it's panic panic.  Lol.  I also suffer with Asthma.  

That's what is great about star parties, every-one is so friendly and helpful and willing to share their knowledge/ lend bits of kit.

Carole 

I learned a really bad taste joke, that I need a bigger dob and that Nicks knowledge of multiple stars is unrivalled.

It was splendid to talk Astro nonsense with such an array of personalities who are entirely free from pretentions.

Paul

1 hour ago, Moonshane said:

I learned that if you shine a light down a big dob focuser it makes for a superb laser show (when cloudy naturally!).

Never thought I'd read a post like that from you Shane!!!;)

Archived