Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Did you learn anything new at SGL XI?

Jonk

3 hours ago, Paul73 said:

Yes. But, both leaving me with a burning need for a bigger scope!!

Saddly the Coma Wall is a closed book for my little scopes.

Paul

Wanting a bigger scope was always going to be a problem camping too close to Calvin sand Steve!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 18 March 2016 at 13:08, carastro said:

Always the risk then when you share a field with non astronomers.

I was at Kelling once and as is common many of us had arrived earlier in the week to maximise our stay.  During the evening a car drove into the field with lights blazing as he wound his way round the field looking for his pitch.  Every-one was furious with him as he turned out to be an Imager himself but his attitude was "the official weekend hadn't yet started".   That's no excuse if you are an astronomer and knew there would be astronomers present.

He then proceeded to pitch his tent with flood lights.

I can tell you we never saw him again, he moved the next day as he realised he had made himself unpopular. 

Carole 

Just wanted to query this as I have never attended a star party before. Is the etiquette to arrive early during daylight to set up? I would have thought it would be dangerous to drive around a campsite without lights.

Obviously using floodlights to set up was an unsociable move.

Is the etiquette to arrive early during daylight to set up?

Exactly, it is the golden rule of an astro camp that there be no white lights at night.  So arrival after dark is not acceptable unless you park away from the Astronomy field and walk up.  Arrival with a car and tent should be planned for during the daylight hours.  

Carole 

21 minutes ago, carastro said:

Exactly, it is the golden rule of an astro camp that there be no white lights at night.  So arrival after dark is not acceptable unless you park away from the Astronomy field and walk up.  Arrival with a car and tent should be planned for during the daylight hours.  

Carole 

Thanks, good to know.

Most folk are reasonable. I arrived at 9pm ish and it was very dark. I parked at the top end of the field and then walked down to ensure I was not going to upset anyone. The consensus was 'no problem' as it was virtually clouded out so I drove down with side lights only (more than enough) but with (red torch) guidance I could have easily driven and pitched the caravan in the dark. Given most events are outside of term time and I work in a school I have no choice usually other than to set off after work and get there late.

On 29/03/2016 at 23:13, swamp thing said:

It could be a bigger problem by next year............ :evil::thumbsup:

could well be

On 30/03/2016 at 07:26, bish said:

No.......really? How big, or you keeping it a surprise?

not saying a word, over to you cal

On 30/03/2016 at 07:28, estwing said:

Someone's moving up by 6"!!!

who might that be :happy7:

9 minutes ago, Scott said:

@estwing, @swamp thing, @faulksy,

Is there any truth to the rumour I heard that renewals for dobmob membership is up soon and anything under 20" need not apply? can't recall where I heard this though ? :evil4:

I you even remotely think I'm bothered about having the smallest scope in the mob you are sadly mistaken..........I'm blumming livid!

8 minutes ago, estwing said:

I you even remotely think I'm bothered about having the smallest scope in the mob you are sadly mistaken..........I'm blumming livid!

if it'll make you feel any better Calv, I'll take it off ya hands, but I'll need a few of them ethos to go with it :D

• 1 month later...
On 3/22/2016 at 14:48, BobSki said:

Hi Mike,

yes buddy, with pleasure.

When setting up your scope ready for use you position your tripod legs and your mount etc. Facing North. You will have a long bar that screws into the mount and points down at an angle toward the ground, onto which you place the counter-balance weights. Having got this far, you then secure your scope, via it's mounting rings, into the dovetail on the mount. If you now rotate the Newtonian in it's mounting rings so the the eye piece/focuser is parallel with the counter-weight bar (if you have just aligned your tripod and mount with North both should be pointing North and down at an angle) you will find that pretty much anywhere you point the scope, your eyepiece will be accessible. 

I hope that helps.

All the best

Bob

Thanks Bob,

sorry it took me a while to respond..will try it next time, maybe I won't need the step then ;-)

Mike

Archived