Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello From Nova Scotia Canada :)

NSastronomer

Hello all,

I'm new to astronomy, and this is my  1st post here.

I'm in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia Canada, and just purchased my 1st telescope, a Celestron NexStar 127SLT MAK Telescope.

I hope to learn alot about astronomy, both for myself, and my 5 year old daughter, and to hopefully get into astrophotography, starting with the moon and planets for now, and then with a different scope, DSO's one day.

Take care all and God bless!

Chris :)

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for your warm welcome everyone, I really appreciate that!

I've been reading alot of info here on this forum, but I'm sure I'll be asking lots of questions. I've actually subscribed to one other astronomy forum so far, but many times when asking questions, I'm referred here to threads on this forum, so why not sign up here, lol.

127SLT-16march2016.jpg

Greetings, Chris, and welcome to SGL - it's very nice to have you aboard! Don't sell your 127mm Mak short. They work very well on some DSO's out there! And don't be shy about questions - we love questions and finding their answers in all fields of astronomy.

Clear & dark skies -

Dave

On 3/15/2016 at 02:55, Dave In Vermont said:

Greetings, Chris, and welcome to SGL - it's very nice to have you aboard! Don't sell your 127mm Mak short. They work very well on some DSO's out there! And don't be shy about questions - we love questions and finding their answers in all fields of astronomy.

Clear & dark skies -

Dave

Hi Dave,

I just assumed that there was too much light pollution here where I live to see any DSO's with this telescope.

I tried the "tour" feature of my telescope, and I couldn't see a thing, nothing at all. Just stars. They all seemed to be in the same area of the sky over the city, the telescope always points to the same area when I select any DSO to view. Bummer.

Part of my lack of knowledge is figuring out what I can see with this telescope, and where things are located in the sky so if they are in a not so light polluted part of the sky, I could try viewing it, but there are SO many things out there, it's hard to know what I should be concentrating on first!

If you don't already have Stellarium on your computer - allow me to introduce you to it. Stellarium is what is called a 'Planetarium-Program.' You set it for your specific location, and program it (instructions provided) to show you what you'd like. I'll end this piece with a screenshot of mine - which is quite advanced. Fear not - yours will start quite simple. You can load it with stars, nebulae, galaxies, just about anything out there. Even artifical-satellites.

Similar software could easily run you a few hundred $$$, but Stellarium is totally free-of-charge! So here's my cut & paste:

On this link is the main page for downloading Stellarium. Choose which version is correct for your computer. Here you go:

http://www.stellarium.org/

As for instructions, the most current one's are posted in Wiki due to there being new features & functions being created almost daily. There is also a Pdf. that's almost up-to-date, absolutely enough 'up-to-date' in all needed ways. Here's the Wiki-Link:

http://www.stellarium.org/wiki/index.php/Stellarium_User_Guide

And the Pdf. is here:

http://barry.sarcasmogerdes.com/stellarium/stellarium_user_guide-new.pdf

This should help you to find just about everything under the Sun.

Enjoy!

Dave

stellarium-091.thumb.png.6c60f3e004f2c9c

Click on image for full size.

Hi Dave,

I've already got Stellarium installed on my PC's, and just got my 127SLT to connect to it via the serial cable, I finally figured out yesterday how to set that handshake part up, and was able to control the telescope with Stellarium.

I haven't figured it all out yet, I think it's going to take me a long time to figure out what it can do, and how to use it, thanks so much for taking the time to post all this info for me, I really appreciate it!

It's alot of information for me to take in, I actually have a brain injury, so it takes me extra time :)

Welcome. I also have a 5 year old girl who loves going to the local planetarium, which is a nice introduction to the stars and more friendly in regards to not being up too late. Spotting shooting stars is a real joy for her though as is viewing the moon through my refractor (probably looking for moon faries....). Although the 12" Dob shows a lot more the refractor's tripod can be easily lowered to her height so the ergonomics are a real winner. 

Hi there, that's kewl that you have a planetarium there, we don't have one here that I'm aware of, but then again, I don't get out much, LOL

My wife thought it was pretty funny that your daughter looks for "moon faries".

Afterall, who are we to say that they do not exist, maybe one day we might capture something "interesting" on our videos :)

I would love to have a big 12" dobsonian yard cannon! Lucky you!

First I have to learn how to use the new Celestron NexStar 127SLT, then, if I save my pennies, something bigger my follow.

From another Canadian named Chris, welcome to SGL. I am also in a highly light polluted area west of Toronto. You would be amazed at what you can see. Good seeing includes a good focus and well adjusted eyes.

Archived