Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Possibilities

Lookingta an even cheaper option to my laptopm not being man enough..... would it possible work if I had all mount equipment plugged into powered USB hub, USB hub then connected to one of these, that then connected to powerline adaptor, power line adaptor in geek room connected to other USB adaptor which then plugs straight into main computer.

As I see it, that would allow me to control everything from my main computer and my only issue then will be the focusing, but with VNC Viewer installed on tablet and Tight VNC installed on computer will be able to see and adjust from there......

@Peje

In theory, yes. But christ knows how it will actually work. It will depend how the powerline adaptor interprets the signals, if it's doing any form of packet checking or other IP related stuff then most likely it won't work. It really strikes me that with so many links converting things it's going to be unlikely to work at all and even less so to be a reliable connection. However, at that money I'd have a go!

So the laptop can't run PHD, AstroTortilla & BYN at the same time? that's a pretty light load. My option would be to get a lappy that can cope with that load then just control it via remote desktop (I use teamviewer as it windows RDP kills stellarium), have the laptop connected to the USB devices. That's basically what I do, sit on the sofa using teamviewer to hop between a screen showing PHD and the other showing BYN, all while nodding and periodically saying 'yes dear, I see what you mean.'

Nah, it runs slower than a slow thing.

Running programs are Stellarium Scope, Stellarium, Sequence Generator Pro, PHD2 and then AT.

Have no idea either how the two USB adaptors work, part of me thinks it will just almost like a serial link...think I will do some Googling on it and put it down to 'product investigation' in work :-).  Am thinking of getting it and trying it as was thinking of getting the powerline adaptors anyway and for 8 quid what have I got to loose?

29 minutes ago, Shelster1973 said:

Nah, it runs slower than a slow thing.

Running programs are Stellarium Scope, Stellarium, Sequence Generator Pro, PHD2 and then AT.

Have no idea either how the two USB adaptors work, part of me thinks it will just almost like a serial link...think I will do some Googling on it and put it down to 'product investigation' in work :-).  Am thinking of getting it and trying it as was thinking of getting the powerline adaptors anyway and for 8 quid what have I got to loose?

This is the one you did a fresh install on wasn't it? Running an SSD yet?

Noticed ur new filters, what money they sting you?

Yeah, this is shiny fresh install of W7Pro 64 on an SSD

As for filters...a fair bit.  The Ha one was £171 and have an O-III on the way, but went for a visual one for that so that was £57.  Have had the UHC filter for a fair time now, can't remember how much that was

Maybe try running a benchmark on it to see what piece is letting you down.

Filters..[removed word] me that's some money. I'll be sticking with LP & CC for a while then lol

Yeah filters aint cheap......looking at another 600 quid for the LRGB and filter wheel.

Will be looking at the laptop later on tonight and seeing what is going on with it....as with my other thread on this, may have to look at running things on different USB ports and also look at what software I am running and in what order.  May look at binning Stallarium and getting a different atlas package that can still issue GOTO commands to the mount

The very trustworthy Windows Experience Rating for this laptop is 3.4 at lowest, which is for the GFX side of things.  Is the built in Intel GFX so not really up to much.  CPU and RAM get 4.9 but get a nice 7.8 on the HDD front thanks to the SSD.

Have uninstalled Stellarium and now installed CdC instead.  I take it that will still work with Stellarium Scope as the multi connection software, or will I have to look at something else for that?

Archived