Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

My first decent attempt at Jupiter

First night of decent seeing about 3 weeks ago meant I had to have a go with my new ASI120mc I had for Xmas.  I've never tried astro-imaging before this year so am really pleased with the results so far.  These images were taken from my back garden, so I think I could get even better results from a decent dark sky location away from buildings, etc.

Jupiter Sequence.tif

2 hours ago, DevonSkies said:

Nice pictures. I've just ordered one of those cameras myself. What telescope are you using? And what software? Thanks!

I have a Skywatcher 200p on an EQ5 mount.  I've just ordered an NEQ6 mount so I can have a go at some longer exposure deep sky imaging.  I've had the scope for around 5 years, but now finding the imaging quite addictive, so getting outdoors more often.  On the software side I'm using Sharpcap for acquiring the images and Registax for post-processing.

48 minutes ago, Starwiz said:

I have a Skywatcher 200p on an EQ5 mount.  I've just ordered an NEQ6 mount so I can have a go at some longer exposure deep sky imaging.  I've had the scope for around 5 years, but now finding the imaging quite addictive, so getting outdoors more often.  On the software side I'm using Sharpcap for acquiring the images and Registax for post-processing.

Thanks for the info. Good luck with your efforts!

4 hours ago, Astrosurf said:

Try having a go with Autostakkert!2 for post-processing. I find it's better. Then bring the image back into Regsitax for the Wavelets function.

Thanks for the info.  I did have ago with Autostakkert, but the image came out quite noisy, so maybe I'm doing something wrong?

Great images.  Selling off some camera gear and going to put the money towards that ZWO.  I've been using Sharpcap - which I really like - with the Phillips 900 but I notice a lot of planetary folk seem to use Firecapture.  Certainly seems to be a steeper learning curve than for Sharpcap but perhaps a lot more flexible.

1 hour ago, runoffshed said:

Great images.  Selling off some camera gear and going to put the money towards that ZWO.  I've been using Sharpcap - which I really like - with the Phillips 900 but I notice a lot of planetary folk seem to use Firecapture.  Certainly seems to be a steeper learning curve than for Sharpcap but perhaps a lot more flexible.

Thanks.  I tried Firecapture first before I moved to Sharpcap, but couldn't get it working in colour.  The imager I bought was the USB 3 version so I'm wondering if this was something to do with it?

7 hours ago, Astrosurf said:

To be honest, I've just tried stacking a Moon vid I took last night, in AS! and it wasn't very good. I think it depends on the vid.

Alex,  i guess you already know that,  but there's a an option that's better for moon and solar pics. it's the surface radio button.   i used to use the same one as the planets but it always came out blurry. and once i found out about it it changed everything. 

17 hours ago, Starwiz said:

Thanks for the info.  I did have ago with Autostakkert, but the image came out quite noisy, so maybe I'm doing something wrong?

I tried AS! again last night with pleasing results after I unchecked the image sharpening checkbox before running the processing.

Archived