Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
AndyWB

Is NGC2905 visible in 10" scope?

I was looking at the galaxy NGC2903 in Leo last week, and I found that it looked like it had two bright patches in it - the core, and one away from the core, but still kind of within the fuzz of the galaxy.

Looking at Skysafari, I can see there is another NGC within the galaxy shown - NGC 2905. It is, apparently, a bright star cloud within the galaxy.

Does anyone know if this  is actually visible in a 10" scope?

• Like 1

I have noticed a knotty structure in NGC 2903 with my 8" scope, but didn't know about NGC 2905. The latter is listed as mag 10 in the Herschel 2500 list. Given that, it should be visible even in my 8" scope. I will try next time I get a chance to look.

Hmm. To me it looked closer to the core than the sketch, but I was at x40, so that might match. Certainly, the angle relative to the long axis of the galaxy looks about right. So maybe! 

I have seen it with my 12 inch scope but it was nothing like in your face, needed around the x170 mark too. Dark skies are a must I would have thought.

alan