Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Cjg

M79 where is it please?

Anyone else had difficulty finding M79 in Lepus? 

It should be easy in the early evening, I've scanned the area up and down for about 30 minutes last night at about 1945 hrs, but without success. Drew an extended line from Arneb through Nihal to where it should be according to the Pocket Atlas.

Thank you,

Chris

I did spot it with my 200mm in Italy under a light polluted sky. It was quite low and difficult to catch. I believe it is a nice target under a dark sky though. 

I did go thought the line you said, and then continued star by star.  

Here are my notes:

Temperature 1C (6 km/h)
Seeing 2 - Slight undulations
Transparency 4 - Partly clear

M79 Lep Glob CL 50x, 92x, 125x
From Alpha Lep (Arneb) follow the line to Beta Lep (Nihal) and move South for another segment of similar length until the double star HIP25045 (mag 5.3). Due to light pollution, the observation of this globular cluster was limited. I found the best view at 92x. A bit of star granulation was detectable with difficulty at the borders.

Edited by Piero
  • Like 1

Thank you Piero, it has proved very elusive to me, perhaps someone with a bigger scope and better eyesight!

Chris

For what it's worth, I have found M79 from Berkshire with a 5" scope - but it was low, and needed quite a clear night. It did take a few attempts.

• Like 1

Thanks AndyWB,

Think the chance to spot it this year has gone now, the moon will make it difficult and at Seething, it will be in the trees...One target as a "must try' for next season then!

Best,

Chris

It is there unless someone has moved it, I viewed it earlier in the year with the 12 inch. I often check the 70mm ED piggyback scope to see if the fainter things can be seen and although I didn't up the power very much I couldn't or don't recall seeing it from a better latitude than you normally have, 42 degrees.

I will have another go with it at around X100 if I ever get a scope out again with the weather as it is.

Alan

• Like 1

Thank you Alan, this is one I (wrongly) assumed would be straightforward to find and see...I found M76 which is tiny, but this eluded me!

Chris