Best Books for Cloudy Nights?

This was probably answered a million times, but what are the best astronomy books? 

Like Guides For Observing,Deep Sky Maps, List of Objects (e.g : a book about the messier objects)

I'm aiming to get "Make Every Photon Count", but is there anything else? 

P.S : Only Books available in Europe, and no "Image" Books

Burnham's Celestial Handbook (vols 1-3) can usually be picked up pretty cheaply online,used.

O.K., some of the information is dated (they are epoch 1950),but they are a Treasure Trove of Astronomical History,Lore,and contain some comprehensive lists of DSO's,Double Stars etc.

There's nothing quite like them,imho.

As well as all the above, O'Meara's three books:- ( he may have done more now)

Deep Sky Companions: the Messier Objects

Deep Sky Companions: The Caldwell Objects

Deep Sky Companions: Hidden Treasures

On 13/03/2016 at 19:32, laudropb said:

An Illustrated guide to Astronomical Wonders by Thompson and Thompson is a wonderful book for planning observing sessions. Much better than TLaO in my opinion.

I have to agree,the Thompsons are brilliant communicators/teachers,and there is a mine of information here for the beginner, on Astronomy basics,equipment etc,and a wealth of observing targets that should keep you going for years.

And it's quite reasonably priced,imho,for such a weighty tome.

Archived