SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

How difficult is it to colimate a MN190

Hi All,

I'm just about ready tp pull the trigger on a new MN190 from FLO, but i n the back of mind mind i keep worrying about the colimation.  I bought a second hand 8" RC and have really struggled to get the colimaiton perfect despite spending nearly £500 on a Tak colimating scope & a howie Glatter laser.

So in the back of mind mind, i keep worrying about the MN190 and facing the same colimation issues.  Is the porcess similar to a standard Newtonian ?  I'm assuming that i can use the Tak scope and howie glatter laser on a MN190.  Should the colimation process be a little easier than the RC ?

I know i might be worrying about nothing, i just can't afford to mess up on this one, as it's likely to be the last scope i buy for the next 3-5 years.

NL

The 190MN is a bit tricky to collimate, but on the other hand it holds well once you get it right. I have never managed to get mine right with a laser, but the Catseye thing does the job well.

Generally speaking, the optics of the 190MN are top notch and give a refractor-like feeling to the images. And it is fast too! So, all things considered, the hassle of collimation is outweighed by the optics.

/per

Hi Per,

thanks for the feedback, it's what i feared.  My plan was to get the MN190 and upgrade with a Feather Touch focuser but the collimation really worries after struggling with the RC.  I had just assumed that it would be like doing a standard newt and therefore a little easier.

NL

Buy a Catseye and collimation will be manageable. Also, I would think the new Baader Diamond focuser beats the Feathertouch in terms of stability. May be cheaper as well. Any way you go you will not be disappointed with this scope!

/p

I agree with Per, the scope is very capable, extremely capable in fact, and as close to a 7" APO as you are likely to get)

Collimation is no more tricky to get right than a standard Newtonian, you just do it differently because of the front corrector plate. I wouldn't be without the Catseye collimation tools for it, they will help you eliminate rotation error in the secondary, something which drove me mad with the MN190 until I sorted it out. The laser alone gave a perfect reading, but you really need to get that right. If you set it up right from the beginning, including the focuser, it will hold very well and you may just have to tweak the primary from time to time. Collimation of the MN190 is made easier somewhat by the etching on the secondary mirror too.

Go for it, you will not be disappointed with the images, and once you have mastered collimation, it's another notch in your belt :)

Cheers

Tim

Hi Per,

The reaons i'm looking at a feather touch is becuase they have an adapter which allows you to connect it directly to the existing flange plate, so no hassle of opening up the scope and none of the horror stories that i have read fitting a moonlite. I believe Ron from Monlite is currently finishing production of a new updated flange plate for the MN190. I also have  lakeside astro stepper focuser, and i beleieve they do brckets for the moonlites & Feather Touch focusers.

I always thought that the Starlight feather Touch were supposed to be the best that money can buy.

In terms of the cats eye, well i really can't afford to invest any more in collimation tools as i've spent a fortune on a Tak Collimating Scope and a Howie Glatter laser, so i hope to god that they are now not going become unusable with a MN190.

Tim, when you say the process is slightly different to a normal newtonian, can you give me some more info as i struggled to fins any guides on colimating the MN190.

NL

Archived