Narrowband

M35 & a surprise

M35 is of my favourite open clusters. It was one of the first binocular objects I found when I moved on from the more obvious 'celestial lollipops' when I first started with astronomy many moons ago.  I will never forget the excitement of  actually finding something from a star chart.....you can tell it does not take much to get me excited!

Here are a couple of images. The first shows the constellation of Gemini and where to find M35. That was taken with a 35mm lens.  The seconds are 10 90s exposures with a 200mm lens. Nikon 5100. I had not expected to pick up another object NGC2174, the monkey head nebula.  That was a surprise and had also got me excited once again.  It is amazing what you can pick up with a DSLR these days.

A welcome distraction from the daughter stomping round the house with A level stress!

Gemini lines.jpg

M35.jpg

Archived