Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Power supply yo imaging rig

Hi All

After purchasing my imaging rig, I need so help/suggestions on supplying power to all the items. I would like to run all equipment off of the mains supply (using an RCD). I will be encasing the supply in a weatherproof box http://www.amazon.co.uk/DRiBOX-FL-1859-330G-IP55-Large-Weatherproof/dp/B00A0J1TJW/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1456419902&sr=8-2&keywords=weatherproof%20ip%20box&tag=stargloung-21. Would this http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/power-pax-120w-switched-mode-dc-fixed-voltage-12v-power-supply-n96ju be suitable for running the HEQ5 and an autoguider?

Thanks

You really need a linear PSU for a Mount and a 13.8v type, the mount will run from 11v - 15v put a switch mode on there with just 12v your be back hear asking why the GoTo is accurate, something like the one linked  will be better...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/QJE-QJ1863-10-12-amp-13-8V-Linear-DC-Power-Regulated-Power-Supply-/281611739746?hash=item41915e2262:g:N-wAAOSwv0tU7v2O

I don't want to cause WW3 here.

Sorry Tinker not following your logic, switchmode supplys handle variation in the AC supply better than transformers, are safer due to their inherentt shutdown capababilities, any ripple effects should not manifest itself in modern electronics.

Why would you want to run a device designed on 12v technology at 13.8V (yes I know they can handle it, and we all run things off SLA's, but if that was the best method wouldn't they have been designed to optimise at 13.8v)

Linears have their place, particularly in audio applications but unless your mount is valve operated 12v is 12v.

Als0 as another member said many threads ago, weatherproofing, RCD's, safety is good, but do you intend to observe or run your rig in the rain?

1 hour ago, roblegion said:

I don't want to cause WW3 here.

Sorry Tinker not following your logic, switchmode supplys handle variation in the AC supply better than transformers, are safer due to their inherentt shutdown capababilities, any ripple effects should not manifest itself in modern electronics.

Why would you want to run a device designed on 12v technology at 13.8V (yes I know they can handle it, and we all run things off SLA's, but if that was the best method wouldn't they have been designed to optimise at 13.8v)

Linears have their place, particularly in audio applications but unless your mount is valve operated 12v is 12v.

Als0 as another member said many threads ago, weatherproofing, RCD's, safety is good, but do you intend to observe or run your rig in the rain?

Your entitled to your opion but 11 - 15 volt is better with 13.8 that 12, as for Switchmode verses Linear i will stick with Linear, others can voice there thoughts on this, no WW3 

I vote for switched mode power supplies as well. Very reliable and constant. Transformers are i.m.h.o. not the best option for this kind of equipment.
Choosing one that provides the option of regulating the output voltage a little bit would have my preference. 

13.8 Volts output really shortens the life of TEC cameracooling. I have my supplies set at 12.5 Volts, and use several for different purposes to prevent interference.

Many are available, some have slightly adjustable output. Those are preferable, for you might want a little bit over 12 volts, like 12,5 to prevent a drop below 12 volts when for example a dew heater kicks in. I also would go for more capacity... 5 A is not that much. Better to have some like 10 A so you will be able to feed everything, if you don't want to buy more then one.
A slewing mount takes 2,5 A., a single dew heater 1,5 A., TEC cooling 2,5 A. ... so it is very easy to get short of power. A bit extra does not cost that much more and better to have some extra capacity.

I was going to get a linear power supply (maplin) as they are often mentionned here. The problem for me is that they are bulky, heavier than switched mode power supply and I could not find one that would accept AC 100-240v input . As I travel to Canada, would like to be able to use my gear there.

I found this switched mode power supply which accept AC 100-240v input sadly they are fixed voltage. Unless someone can recommend a switched mode power supply that has variable voltage AND input in the range of AC 100-240v I may have no choice but to get this one.... What do you people think ? Are these suitable for running a setup from main ?

Sorry OP, I don't mean to highjack this thread, I am very much interested to know what you went for in the end ? I do have the same questions regarding this issue.

Here are some examples: http://www.cnhwele.com/products/hs-150w-ID18.html  ; http://www.meanwell.com/webnet/search/seriessearch.html  you can get different types and capacities.

for outside use you should put it in a ventilated wooden or plastic box, with connectors on the outside.
the Mean Well brand is very common. You may find it in any electronic parts store. All kinds of connectors and advice (if you need it) are available as well.

Waldemar

10 hours ago, Vox45 said:

I was going to get a linear power supply (maplin) as they are often mentionned here. The problem for me is that they are bulky, heavier than switched mode power supply and I could not find one that would accept AC 100-240v input . As I travel to Canada, would like to be able to use my gear there.

I found this switched mode power supply which accept AC 100-240v input sadly they are fixed voltage. Unless someone can recommend a switched mode power supply that has variable voltage AND input in the range of AC 100-240v I may have no choice but to get this one.... What do you people think ? Are these suitable for running a setup from main ?

Sorry OP, I don't mean to highjack this thread, I am very much interested to know what you went for in the end ? I do have the same questions regarding this issue.

Canada use a 60hz frequency on there mains supply in the UK its 50Hz how this may alter a Switch Mode or Linear PSU taking into account the difference voltages 120/240 as well may be worth checking....

21 minutes ago, Waldemar said:

For example the MeanWell LRS 150-12:

Frequency range : 47-63 Hz
Voltage range : 85 ~ 132VAC / 170 ~ 264VAC selected by switch

Output adjustment 10,2 - 13,8 Volts by 12,5 A

This one checks all the boxes :)

It is rather crude and I will have to build a box with a 12v fan I guess... But for the price (23€) I am ready to spend a little time and $ on a bit of DIY ;)

For a price (90€) I could get this one which has the same specs but is made for harsh environment (IP65)

Archived