Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Unwanted astro magazines

Oldfort

I have monthly subscriptions to Sky & Telescope and Astronomy Now.  Every few months I throw out the older copies as I don't have any space for them.  This seems a waste, and I wondered if anyone had any ideas of what I might do with them - eg a local astronomy society (I'm in Greenwich, London).  I don't want payment, other than to cover postage if the recipient can't collect.

I have loads of  Starry Night Mags with accompanying CD's.   I intended to bring  them with me to SGL 11, where  I am now,  typing this post  from inside my tent :icon_biggrin:.    I think we are having a  Astro stuff sale today.  I was going put them on my table and  hope to get 50p a copy.    Might seem mean,  since you guys Mags are free,   but  I figure they would be well worth that,  considering  the huge amount I paid for them.  They are all in Pristine condition. 

1 hour ago, Peter Drew said:

Humour in a surgery?  priceless!    :icon_biggrin:

Remember 'Humour in uniform'?

Or,'Ii pays to increase your word power'?

I always wondered if 'Reader's Digest' actually existed outside the confines of Doctor's waiting rooms.

Our's always carried Yachting magazines-which was more than slightly ironic,considering the social status of most of his patients(!)

Yeah, local sixth form, or a charity shop. Mine go with me to my local astronomical society where anyone who wants them can have for free; they often get brought back next time and someone else takes it. 

James

I offered my old mags and CDs to a school. Just not bothered. If it isn't on the curriculum, they don't have the time... Yes amazing.

The doctor/dentist waiting room is probably better.  Especially if you have several magazines to give away.

At a new dentist, I enjoyed reading National Geographic. Well as much as you can enjoy reading, knowing your are in line for someone with a mask to poke pointed sticks in your mouth, mutter strange words to an assistant and take money. Despite this, I thought I ought to contribute to the reading collection. So next visit I dropped in a duplicate copy of Pilot (aviation) magazine. A week later, being a glutton for wallet emptying punishment I was back. Pilot had gone!

So maybe doctor and dentist waiting rooms do get regular supplies of quality reading material. But they don't stay around long enough to be seen by many.

Archived