Narrowband

First view of GRS

iPeace

Just had a great session - first view of the Moon with the TV85, a cluster in Auriga (no positive identification, sorry...but it was great!) and...Jupiter with the Great Red Spot (Io and Europa also nicely lined up in formation). Had not seen the GRS yet, and as I'm still getting to know the scope and gradually finding out what it can and will show me, I've been allowing for the possibility that it may take a while to start seeing stuff like this...scope is great. It's definitely no instant gratification, it's more of a rewarding endeavour, the scope saying: "It's there, can you see it yet?", and the more I look, the more I see. Of course, there's Stellarium to confirm what I thought I saw...and I did indeed. The Great Red Spot. From in front of our house. Cool.

Excellent stuff !

"the more I look, the more I see" is definitely how it is with both planetary and deep sky observing - you do have to work at getting the best out of the conditions and the scope :icon_biggrin:

Just now, John said:

Excellent stuff !

"the more I look, the more I see" is definitely how it is with both planetary and deep sky observing - you do have to work at getting the best out of the conditions and the scope :icon_biggrin:

That's very reassuring - there are moments when it takes a bit of faith, with others here on SGL raving about how great and detailed the view was, and me sort of thinking that they must be seeing more because they have more aperture or whatever...and still others elsewhere raving about how great a TV85 performs...and it's easy to start to wonder whether I'm doing things right. Thankfully, it's a lot of fun and I see more every time.

Thanks

Archived