Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ6 Pro Issues after strip down

cardconvict

Thinking of stripping my EQ6 pro mount down and doing a service on her and doing a hyper mod on it with new spacers.

But which grease is best for the mount, I have been thinking of using copa slip expensive but I think it will give a better job and is good for temperatures down to -40 C.

Has anyone done the mod on a EQ6 with belt pulleys instead of gears and what advantage does it give you over the gears.

.....not sure which grease is the best, but any strip down I complete, I normally commit to a photographic record, either with dslr or mobile phone so as to have something to refer too when re-compiling the parts?

1 hour ago, cardconvict said:

Thinking of stripping my EQ6 pro mount down and doing a service on her and doing a hyper mod on it with new spacers.

But which grease is best for the mount, I have been thinking of using copa slip expensive but I think it will give a better job and is good for temperatures down to -40 C.

Has anyone done the mod on a EQ6 with belt pulleys instead of gears and what advantage does it give you over the gears.

The Skywatcher grease may be slated everywhere but I suspect that one of the reasons for its viscosity is so that it actually sticks to where it is intended to.

I have considered doing a strip down and rebuild on my NEQ6 - but you know what it works and guides fine, why fix something tha aint broke.

As per your thoughts, if I was to do it, I would definitely do some extras eg. beltmod

Good luck with your endeavours:headbang:

Now, this is a contentious issue.  I no longer have an EQ6, but when I did, the biggest mistake I made was cleaning off the original grease.  I never found a grease that would stay in place, and I tried 6 different types.  Yes strip and replace bearings and spacers and even do a belt mod, all good.  But, I would, if I could have that time again, leave the original grease on the worm gearing.  Not only does it stay in place, it is also an anti backlash grease.  I have no doubt I will be strongly disagreed with here but that is my two-penneth.

18 minutes ago, Alan64 said:

Clean the old grease out with charcoal lighter fluid and an old toothbrush.  I use Super Lube, a Teflon-based grease to replace...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Synthetic-Grease-Syncolon-Purpose-Lubricant/dp/B000XBH9HI

I also used SuperLube after seeing it recommended in a lot of forum postings in various places.  I used it 2 or 3 years ago when replacing the worm bearings with SKF ones and when I did the Rowan Belt Drive Mod.

Ok so over the weekend I have striped down my mount and I have done the super tune on her from going by instructions on astrobaby website and have used lithium grease.

I went out last night to image and it was a disaster. Even when I was guiding and was getting long star trails.

I did notice that when balancing horizontal everything balance but when I put the mount back to start in the park position with the clamps off the telescope rotated to the left.

On the PHD graph when I did the guide assist the Blue RA line drifted straight to the top of the graph and the DEC very slowly drifted down the graph. I know my polar alignment was out very slightly.

At the moment I have ordered new RA main bearings to see if that cures the problem but anyone with any suggestions would be appreciated.

Archived