Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

world record of bad seeing ?

neil phillips

Probably not, but still

Last night was awful, according to the jet stream forcast it was a fairly slow moving stream. But clearly these things are not as predictable as we would like, live example of how bad it got.

Which was happening all through the imaging session with  less hurricane force in places.

Just goes to show how powerful our software is, here is a stack from such said night.  And you can see something lol. The capture before this, video example although underwater, wasn't as violent  obviously.

Around 6 Metres FL. The lower focal length shots were not any better. infact I though they were worse. Likely losing the subtle detail trying to get through.

Don't think i will do a RGB as the green blue get even worse of course, so just a red as a example of the seeing last night, and how inaccurate the jet stream forcasts can be

video0002 16-03-11 00-08-10 bit_ulrg v d c e_ulrg.avi

56e2bcb72ba16_lucytwothree.png.91c05e868

Very wobbly lol Decent result considering! 

Looks hazy cloud at best here tonight but I reckon with no Jetstream there are going to be some good images to be had! Looking back at my images from previous years March 2014 & 2015 produced the best Jupiter shots in very good but hazy seeing.

I thought the indications looked quite promising for some reasonable seeing last night but I never got the chance to find out as the clouds never went away which was yet again against the forecast for clear skies down here!!

That AVI really shows the issues we have had to deal with an awful lot this time round though Neil. As Stuart mentions, a good result in the circumstances.

Pete

2 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

Very wobbly lol Decent result considering! 

Looks hazy cloud at best here tonight but I reckon with no Jetstream there are going to be some good images to be had! Looking back at my images from previous years March 2014 & 2015 produced the best Jupiter shots in very good but hazy seeing.

Yes Stuart not everyone agrees with that idea, and I can see why from what I saw last night. But I tend to agree with you. The nights that are slightly hazy or misty, seem more consistently  better than those nights without. I have actually had a experience on Mars watching the mist get heavier and heavier, Histogram and trans going down and down. But seeing getting better and better, right before my eyes. It can calm the air under certain conditions for sure. But not always.

Ill check the weather I think. Cheers

2 hours ago, theo said:

I thought the indications looked quite promising for some reasonable seeing last night but I never got the chance to find out as the clouds never went away which was yet again against the forecast for clear skies down here!!

That AVI really shows the issues we have had to deal with an awful lot this time round though Neil. As Stuart mentions, a good result in the circumstances.

Pete

That's what I thought Pete. Until I got Jupiter on the chip. Then it was, oh no here we go again. I could see some twinkling. But I didn't expect it to be that bad. Jet stream showed only over Essex area, not the rest of the UK, And around the milder speeds. But of course there's nothing mild in that vid. I should post the better moments too, to give comparison. I would get a slightly calmer minute, then all hell would break lose. Not good.

Bad in Scotland too laudropb

Think I remember the Jet stream showing completely absent from that location. I sometimes wonder (As Pete recently mentioned) If it can be trusted at all ?

Last one I am bothering with, got slightly more out, but not by a lot.

56e2f9b47f140_REDMOREG.png.176362355d007

Yep Neil, that video looks oh so familiar. All the more frustrating when you get out full of hope and, as you say, get Jupiter on the chip - only to get a  flowing river. As a setup and tear down each outing bloke this is distinctly annoying. Patience have been tried this season that's for sure!! Well done in getting a couple of images anyhow!

regards,

Ralph

Archived