Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rosette oil on canvas

gorann

No clear sky in sight until next week (when the moon will be back...), so I have entertained myself with my old data and data I got from my friend Francois Theriault in New Brunswick. Here is what came out when I added Francois' Ha data to my DSLR RGB image of the Rosette nebula from January. The Ha brought out a lot of dust in the background and some more contrast to the rosette. I find the result interesting as it reminds me of an 18th century oil painting. I also post the "original" RGB for comparison.

IMG_858-865PS4+FTnewHaPS2.jpg

IMG_858-865PS4redbrownSharpDark.jpg

Sweet, it is amazing how much of the faint outer regions Ha brings. The danger is to make it look too much like an oil painting with over enthusiastic processing, something I am very guilty of myself. But I think you are very close here, good job.

How did you merge the Ha element into the image ?

Thanks Catanonia!

I used it as a luminosity layer in Photoshop, and then a little bit of curves. His data is from an AstroTech 72ED (SBIG ST8300M) and mine from a ES 127ED (Canon 60Da).

By the way, there are so many ways the Rosette could be presented. Francois kindly sent me also his Oiii and Sii data of the Rosette, and this is my semi-Hubble palette processing of his narrowband data. You can see Francois' lovely version here:

http://www.astrobin.com/240874/

I really likes his version for its mystique, while my processing made it a bit more fiery (it seems that I try to steer away from the green and go for the red - maybe because I have been told there is no green in space).

RosetteNewFT PS4b.jpg

Yes laudropb, I can see that the Hubble palette can be too much. It is also obviously not the true colours, so processing such an image becomes rather arbitrary, and of course gives a lot of "artistic" freedom. Here is a calmer version of the Hubble palette that may be more pleasing (one of many versions I ended up with).

RosetteNewFT HubblePS1c.jpg

Archived