Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

AZ Synscan Handset issues

Unfortunately it's likely a hardware issue... you might want to make sure you're using an AC or DC cable that you know matches the requirements though. You'll want to look into updating the firmware as a first possibility. You can download the new firmware loader from SkyWatcher and hold the 0 and 8 key while plugging the controller itself into the computer with an RS232 (or USB adapter). It should proceed from there theoretically. I know Orion has a repair facility, but I'm not sure about SkyWatcher. Best of luck!

You could try a reset if there is an external button to press, as no screen you cannot use the menu tree. Just thinking that some data item internally may have been corrupted and the display is now at zero brightness. Will say it is doubtful but an option even if small.

Check the connectors one may be a little mucky and not making good contact, but I would ahve thought that whatever supplies power to the handset for the direction buttons to operate would supply power to the display, however they are a little odd.

If you are going to try an update check out which USB cable/connector works best - not all work well, or find an old PC with an old serial port.

If all fails then check Astroboot as occasionally they have a V3 Synscan handset of sale.

Someone may come along and say that the handset can be opened and the display contacts cleaned, only say this as I am sure I have read of this problem previously. However I would say that this should be a last resort. My approach for this would be to get another handset then contemplate opening. If you are in a club ask if anyone there has experienced the same problem.

Thanks for your help and advice ronin it's a weird problem everything seems to be working fine the scope moves fine using the arrow buttons the handset bleeps and lights up even the display lights up orange but no text ? Only other problem the vga computer lead it came with doesn't fit lol 

Archived