Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

ribuck

Focal reducer on newtonian

It DEFFO doesn't work with a DSLR Ant, serious coma on the bits that aren't vignetted, and half the frame is missing. You need a 2" FR for a DSLR, and even then you get distortion from a Frac. at the edge. 2" stuff doesn't work with FRs on Newts unless you "customise" them, then you can only use the centre 6mm dia. spot really.

Kaptain Klevtsov

I want a reducer so that i can get a wider field of view for my MX916 CCD.

Perhaps the best solution is the one you have already bought - let us know how you get on :grin:

The only one thats worth a punt is the 1.25" screw on one available from all the usual suspects. The camera nosepiece might be too long to acheive focus anyway, but you can shorten that with a hacksaw.

The reducer goes on the camera nosepiece (try without a filter first as it will give you a better chance of getting focus) then the camera goes into the focuser. You will more than likely have to reverse the 1.25" tube on the adapter to get enough in travel, but thats easy enough. If you fit the camera then tighten the screw (which might need shortening), then fit the adapter to the 'scope, you might get somewhere.

This works for webcam sized chip cameras, so it might work with yours. Best plan is have a go.

Kaptain Klevtsov

Well i have the ccd and the reducer so now i'm just waiting for the skies to clear to try and see what i get. I will post images with and without the reducer as a comparison.

Rich.

Good stuff Rich. As an additional request, could you take note of any difference in required exposure time if its noticeable. The good bit about FRs is that they make imaging faster.

Kaptain Klevtsov

I'll do a series of exposure lengths, such as 15, 30, 60, 90 secs and we can compare to see if the focal reducers catch more data at the shorter exposure lengths.

So in theory, we should see a difference in the images. I.e. the 15 secs image with the focal reducer should capture more detail.

Sod's law the weather is getting worse......it's been sunny all day whilst i've been at work then come 4pm the dark black rain clouds rolled in. Been like that all week and i bet it rains at the weekend too just to stop my little experiment.

Sorry guys still no break in the weather, and apparently it's going to be bad for the next week. I'll give a progress update once the weather breaks.

I know that this is a REALLY old thread (have the skies been bad for ten years now?)

I was looking to buy a cheap 0.5x reducer. Not really for imaging with my 8" newt and ASI 290mm camera, but to use the Polar align tool on SharpCap. Using my 102mm, F4.9 refractor it should give a FOV a bit greater than 1 degree which is the software requirement.

Has anyone tried this?