SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

I had a WOW! night

JemC

Hi all

So after about an hour messing around last night with the Mak 127 and Jupiter(starting to get frustrated) :sad: i decided to change scopes/camera so got the 130P-DS and 450d out, Now one of the problems i have is alignment?
I can see the stars I want to align with visually but when it comes to looking through the finder/eyepiece this is where i fall apart because somebody just stuck a whole load more stars in there and now i don't know what star I'm looking at :dontknow: and i know my
alignment is not correct :hmh: but i press on regardless and align to what i think is the correct star :iamwithstupid:...so having done all that it's time to explore :happy7:

settings for all the following images if i remember correct are
iso 800 - 120sec x5 -  darks x 5 -  bias x 10
no other processing has been done other than run through DSS and saved as jpeg mainly because i don't know what i'm doing :icon_biggrin:

this to me is where the WOW! happened, I know these images are not going to win any awards but i am chuffed to bits at having captured my 1st Galaxies,
I select M81 Bode's Galaxy, let the mount do it's thing then fire up the camera and this is the image that appears on the screen
M82 Cigar Galaxy(i think), now i don't care at this point that my alignment is out (i know i should) but I just got my first DSO image,

Galax.thumb.jpg.896a6e2f2daef16fcfcb4ae7

so after this image i thought i'll send it to M82 and see where it goes, well it's BIG GRIN :D time for me as i got both M81 and M82 (i think) in the same image :-)

2Galax.thumb.jpg.d3300a2bbc2b0fa258c04aa

Well im drunk with excitement now and to be honest i cannot remember what target i entered in the handset for the next image but in the next image i got not 1 not 2 but 3 DSO in the frame, can someone please identify what these are, they where towards the south and not to far from Jupiter?

3Galax.thumb.jpg.036eaf2025ef82ad92e702f

What a night :-) 1 poor Jupiter and 5 galaxies,

Like i said, i have a long way to go and a lot to learn, nothing like a challenge :icon_biggrin:

i really need to sort my shed out and get it converted then i dont have to cart all the electricals and other bits in and out the house to set up
any comments/critique/adjustments welcome.

Regards
James

4 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Nice captures: The second has a third DSO on the right: NGC 3077, my first non Messier NGC object, 36 years ago :D. The lower image shows M65, M66 and NGC 3628

Thanks Michael :happy7:

just googled those in the last pic and that says they are what is known as the Leo triplet, I'm even more chuffed now  :D and a 3rd one in the 2nd so that makes 6 in total, fantastic

Regards
James

Very nice indeed. 

As for your alignment, a while back someone suggested using astrotorilla. With my setup it works a charm. A bit trying to get it setup but worth it.

Astrotortilla plays very nicely with eqmod and BYEOS.

45 minutes ago, kendg said:

As for your alignment, a while back someone suggested using astrotorilla. With my setup it works a charm. A bit trying to get it setup but worth it.

Astrotortilla plays very nicely with eqmod and BYEOS.

Thanks Ken

This is something i will need to look into, currently only use the handset, so will need to look at upgrading pc and installing ascom  :happy7: 

1 hour ago, Catanonia said:

Now the slippery slope of wallet emptying begins, hope your are prepared :hello2:

Yep, next stage a cooled mono CCD and filters :icon_biggrin:.

You could also get a LP filter, and if you don't already have one, a coma-corrector for the 130 PDS

6 minutes ago, DaveS said:

You could also get a LP filter, and if you don't already have one, a coma-corrector for the 130 PDS

i have a LP filter but forgot to use it last night :dontknow: a coma corrector is something i will be looking at getting as well as a bahtinov mask

Archived