Narrowband

Seagull Nebula

gnomus

Seagull Nebula chosen as a target by Mrs Gnomus, then shot and processed under the (close) supervision of Olly (and Mrs Gnomus) at Les Granges on his dual Tak 106 rig over the course of one evening:

RGB 4 x 400 secs each

Ha 12 x 1200 secs

OIII 8 x 1200 secs

Seagull.thumb.png.1fcf4bfca49c7ce6004335

Thanks everybody for their kind words.

16 hours ago, Catanonia said:

Cracking top drawer. Care to explain your Ha combination methods please as I am experimenting with my methods of creating a new R channel with Ha + R and then also using this a lum.

Olly has described his technique in several other posts and that is what I followed.  In short, make the RGB file and then, split channels.  Apply the Ha as a layer on top of the Red channel using Blend Mode 'Lighten'.  Then merge the three channels again.  You can add the OIII in the same way.  You start with the Ha to Red image and then produce different images adding; Ha to Blue; OIII to the Green; and OIII to Blue.  These separate images are stacked in PS and you can play around with opacity sliders to taste.

13 hours ago, Barry-Wilson said:

Excellent work Steve.  You must be very pleased.

Does have a Klingon look about it to us Trekkies :happy11:.

Thanks Barry, I am very pleased.  I hope you are not too disappointed in me though, because I am heading back to the light side - this was way more PS than PI :evil4:

13 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

I never touched the keyboard on this one so that leaves me nice and free to say that I love it! And I do.

Olly

Olly may not have 'touched the keyboard' but that was only because he had both hands firmly on the reins, letting go only briefly to deliver the occasional (metaphorical) clip around the ears!!! :icon_jokercolor:  He is a very patient man. 

34 minutes ago, swag72 said:

Looking great Steve - A very fine looking target indeed and a good choice :) I guess that you will have another fiddle with this with PI?

I think Olly might kill me if I did!!!!!!!  [And Mrs Gnomus might well help him dispose of the body!]

It will be interesting to see if you can do it better / worse / easier / harder ........... Delete as appropriate

As an aside ................. how do you delete a quote box when it's accidentally slipped in?

25 minutes ago, swag72 said:

It will be interesting to see if you can do it better / worse / easier / harder ........... Delete as appropriate

As an aside ................. how do you delete a quote box when it's accidentally slipped in?

In fact we tried a couple of my usual PI steps before returning to Olly's 'traditional' method.  PI has its merits and of course we used it for DBE, SCNR and so forth.  But I am persuaded by the PS approach.  (I didn't even know how to stretch images in PS before being shown how).  

[To delete a quote, highlight the box (a little + sign appears in the top left corner when you do this), then press 'Delete'.]

Archived