Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
Catanonia

The Flaming Star Nebula

Taken 2 nights ago during the clear spell we had. 

11 x 10m Ha, 11 x 5m 2xbin RGB so close to 6 hours.

Taken with my SuperNewt 8inch F2.8 with QHY9 Mono, TSOAG guide with QHY5

I have tried some different processing methods on this one. Namely some deconvolution techniques and mixing the Red and Ha into a HaR channel and the HaR as a luminosity channel.  I guess it makes it a (HaL)(HaR)GB image :)

The main stacking / calibration and processing was done in PixInsight with the channel combinations of HaL and HaR done in CS5

IC405 Final HaLHaRGB.jpg

Edited by Catanonia
  • Like 8

16 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Very nice image.

Moved it to the imaging section

oops sorry, been sometime since been on the forum and it has all changed :)  Thanxs

Guys, 

Opinions please.

My images before have been what I would call, over processed. I have tried not to give this a paint effect and concentrated on the stars. 

I am not sure.  Pointers please good or bad ignoring the star shapes that I sill have problems with.

Thanks

Flamin' loverly :smiley:

(I couldn't resist, it's been a long day. It really is a great image)

Great to see you back.

Lots to like in the image.

I wouldn't bin colour for combining with Ha because it makes the main problem worse, the main problem being the big RGB stars and small Ha ones for combining. Above all, on this kind of target, you want small RGB stars, so stretch them under a mask, keep exposures short. But there is that nice blue reflection feature around the flaming star itself and this does want lots of blue. Hmmm...Not sure how to go about that! Layers in Ps would allow you to hit the reflection nebulosity hard in blue without having a blue-out in the entire image. Every image is different...

Olly

Welcome back, long time, no see!

As Olly says - don't bin the colour if mixing with narrowband, it makes stars hard work. But nice image tho, glad you remembered how to put it all together.

I had to do a double check on the post date  ;-)  good to see you back and imaging.   Cracking image by the way.

Mark

Thanks all and great advice on the binning RGB and Ha. Never thought about that and it makes sense.

• Like 1