Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Anyone got a RC 10 inch truss ?

I am pondering selling my F2.8 reduced Newt for one of these.

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p6882_TS-10-inch-f-8-Ritchey-Chr-tien-Astrograph---carbon-truss-tube.html

Has anyone got any experience with them such as pro's and con's ?

Getting kinda frustrated with the 8inch reflector and trying to run it at F2.8 with all of the collimation / tilt issues and I have been toying with the idea of a simpler set up and longer FL for galaxy imaging which I really love.

No I haven't but they look nice for AP.  Make sure you invest in a Takahashi collimating scope as well if go for it and you do not feel confident in colliamating the two adjustable surfaces of the RC scope design.  They can be a pig to collimate until you get comfortable (still tricky even when you do!).  I suggest keeping away from the RC design unless you like to tinker with things.

RC design has a large central obstruction so I think the claims in that ad about it being a great visual scope are a tad over-excited.  "Adequate" is a more realistic term for their visual observing characteristics.

Just my two penneth.  I am sure others will comment too...

1 hour ago, kirkster501 said:

No I haven't but they look nice for AP.  Make sure you invest in a Takahashi collimating scope as well if go for it and you do not feel confident in colliamating the two adjustable surfaces of the RC scope design.  They can be a pig to collimate until you get comfortable (still tricky even when you do!).  I suggest keeping away from the RC design unless you like to tinker with things.

RC design has a large central obstruction so I think the claims in that ad about it being a great visual scope are a tad over-excited.  "Adequate" is a more realistic term for their visual observing characteristics.

Just my two penneth.  I am sure others will comment too...

Thanks.

I have Cats Eye and it can't be worse than trying to collimate an F2.8 Newtonian.

Love to tinker and only for imaging and no observational work.

So tempted.

On 08/03/2016 at 23:43, Catanonia said:

I am pondering selling my F2.8 reduced Newt for one of these.

http://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/language/en/info/p6882_TS-10-inch-f-8-Ritchey-Chr-tien-Astrograph---carbon-truss-tube.html

Has anyone got any experience with them such as pro's and con's ?

Getting kinda frustrated with the 8inch reflector and trying to run it at F2.8 with all of the collimation / tilt issues and I have been toying with the idea of a simpler set up and longer FL for galaxy imaging which I really love.

There is an Ian King Imaging version on UKABS: Advert # 109686. AFAIK Ian used the GSO mirrors and built them into a truss that he had designed.

Might be worth a look.

I have the TS 12" truss RC with modified backplate and heavy duty focuser and I'm very  happy with it. I would endorse what Kirkster recommends - a Tak collimation scope takes all the guesswork out of collimation and makes it easy. Having said that once my scope was collimated it has stayed collimated unlike many Newts that seem to need frequent tweaking.

HTH

Derrick

I have one of the Altair 10" RC truss scopes. Here is my thread from when I first got it. I've since upgraded the focuser to a Feathertouch R&P. I've never collimated it, just used it straight from the box. I've recently got a Tak collimating scope to see if any tweaking is required. I fitted a secondary dew heater and a dew band around the primary cover, and never had any dew problems. Here are some recent images:

M1%20-RGB%20post%20NB%20colour%202_zpsyi

M27LRGB600sps2_zps591d47b2.jpg

B33%20ps1%20red_zpspzsirhnu.jpg

IMG_1314_zpszxuerozs.jpg

Archived