Narrowband

A Rosette test after a long absence

Catanonia

Well it has been a long time, over 2 years probably since I posted and I got very disheartened with the scopes. Some of you may remember I bought a SuperNewt, basically a 8inch GSO type reflector with a 0.73 ASA reducer / corrector matched to it.

It turns it into a 8inch F2.8 light bucket, but along with that comes collimation, tilt, focus and many many other problems that basically left me nearly selling all the kit and giving up the hobby especially with the UK weather the way it is.

Any hows, long story short, I kept the kit and last month dedicated my time to getting all the issues sorted out. Namely the flats, tilt and horrid star shapes. I sorted out the tilt with strong focuser bracing / screws, replace the primary springs with stiffer Bob Knob ones and stripped the optical train and ensured all distances were the same. Took about a month of test and this is the final test image.

Taken on my SuperNewt 8inch F2.8 with a QHY9 mono in 7nm Ha and about 4 hours in 10 min subs. at F2.8 during a full moon night.

Kinda rusty in PixInsight and Photoshop as it has been sometime, and although I still have issues with star shapes, it is miles better than it was before . Learning all over again.

Hopefully it isn't too shabby and hopefully I will be a regular member again on the forum.

Regards

Cat

Rosette 2016.jpg

11 hours ago, Catanonia said:

Well it has been a long time, over 2 years probably since I posted and I got very disheartened with the scopes. Some of you may remember I bought a SuperNewt, basically a 8inch GSO type reflector with a 0.73 ASA reducer / corrector matched to it.

It turns it into a 8inch F2.8 light bucket, but along with that comes collimation, tilt, focus and many many other problems that basically left me nearly selling all the kit and giving up the hobby especially with the UK weather the way it is.

Any hows, long story short, I kept the kit and last month dedicated my time to getting all the issues sorted out. Namely the flats, tilt and horrid star shapes. I sorted out the tilt with strong focuser bracing / screws, replace the primary springs with stiffer Bob Knob ones and stripped the optical train and ensured all distances were the same. Took about a month of test and this is the final test image.

Taken on my SuperNewt 8inch F2.8 with a QHY9 mono in 7nm Ha and about 4 hours in 10 min subs. at F2.8 during a full moon night.

Kinda rusty in PixInsight and Photoshop as it has been sometime, and although I still have issues with star shapes, it is miles better than it was before . Learning all over again.

Hopefully it isn't too shabby and hopefully I will be a regular member again on the forum.

Regards

Cat

Rosette 2016.jpg

Nice to see you back cat. Ive been abcent for 10 months or so my self.

Did they put thay shopping center up at the back of you or did they put it off?

Great effort for your come back

1 minute ago, Daniel-K said:

Nice to see you back cat. Ive been abcent for 10 months or so my self.

Did they put thay shopping center up at the back of you or did they put it off?

Great effort for your come back

Hi mate and thanks for the comments as to all those welcoming me back.

Nah, we managed to get the shopping centre rejected at the council, now they are trying for houses but getting nowhere. Houses are ok (ish) but at least no shopping centre :)

Archived