SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Europa & Io double transit after midnight

Pete Presland

I think I must have got lucky with the conditions last night as it seemed pretty decent to me, for the UK anyway!

A really enjoyable few hours watching the event unfold. Taken with my C9.25/ASI120mm set up. 60seconds per channel, stacked in A/S2, combined in C/S2.

Right at the end of the night (1am) I was packing up when I heard a voice and noticed a white hooded figure in the obsy door way :ohmy:  It gave me quite a fright for a few seconds, just Mrs Bunnygod checking on my whereabouts!  :icon_biggrin:

56df413d88900_2016.03.08EuropaIomoon-sha

A great record of this event Pete. Well captured! It is indeed fascinating watching the progression of the transits!

Best regards,

Ralph

Very nice Pete, and thanks once again for the use of your image.

One thing that's confusing me slightly though. In the mono image I used you can see Europa as well as its shadow but in these colour images you can't. Any ideas why?

Cheers,

Stu

8 hours ago, Stu said:

Very nice Pete, and thanks once again for the use of your image.

One thing that's confusing me slightly though. In the mono image I used you can see Europa as well as its shadow but in these colour images you can't. Any ideas why?

Cheers,

Stu

I am no expert, but I think its where the three channels R,G,B, are slightly misaligned. I see this in a lot of my Jupiter images whenever there is a moon in the image. The shadows and discs were very close to each other that session, probably the closest I have seen them.

3 minutes ago, bunnygod1 said:

I am no expert, but I think its where the three channels R,G,B, are slightly misaligned. I see this in a lot of my Jupiter images whenever there is a moon in the image. The shadows and discs were very close to each other that session, probably the closest I have seen them.

Thanks Pete, that makes sense. Yes, the moons and shadows were very closely aligned because  Jupiter was at Opposition.

I'm no expert either, but I guess you could use an RGB alignment of some sort to improve the image further?

Archived