celestron c6r refractor

Hi every one 

I have just receiver a celestron C6R f8 refractor . This is my first large refractor ,when I say large I mean anything over 102 mm. Is there any one out there that has one of these ? Is there anything I should know like quarks about it before I start using it. The mount I am using is the advanced vx goto  mount. Celestron sells them on this mount and I already had the mount for my c8 so I just got ota. I would like to try taking some pictures with it . I have all the adapters  they will work on my C8 as well. I'm just asking to kind of get an idea as to what to expect from this thing 

They are quite nice visual scopes. The biggest problem I can see is just that, they are big, and long. Astrophotography may be challenging with it because of the guiding challenges assuming you mean deep sky imaging.

Its a good deep sky visual scope, it will show CA on bright objects. I guess at f8 it is also quite slow for AP

I've owned a few of them. If yours is one of the good ones then it should perform nicely although they do show a fair amount of chromatic aberration around brighter stars, planets and the moon as you would expect from an F/8 achromat.

They do require a sturdy mount because of the length of the tube as much as it's weight.

The Giant. :icon_biggrin:

I was looking at one of these at first, but my objective was the objective.

I learned it is not as much an Astrophotography telescope, as it is a viewing telescope.

Long story short, this 6" 50" long monster was my first love, but didn't work for my plan.

So I wound up in a Triple APO telescope. Short, light, precise, precision star shooter. I have a ~13 pound load all told on my 30 pound rated mount.

Or, about like a flea on an elephants back.

Can you take pictures through it? Most likely, probably great ones. But there would come a time you would long for better.

The coolest thing is much of the AP kit can be moved from scope to scope.

Archived