stargazine_ep39_banner.thumb.jpg.b87bddaa2aded94d2a3456c0589a82b9.jpg

Sky was nice and transparent around 2am, so it would have been rude not to take the binoculars out. As it was going to be a short session, I used the Lunt 16x70 on the monopd and #222 joystick (trigger-grip) head.

First stop Jupiter; only two moons. Up to see how easy M65 & 66 were - answer: very and, while I was looking at them, NGC 3628 was also obvious with averted vision. Suitably emboldened I headed over to Melotte 111 (far too big for this binocular's field, but vibrant) to see what I could make of one of my favourite telescopic galaxies, NGC 4565. Put gamma Com at 3 o'clock and, sure enough NGC 4559 was in the middle, obvious with AV and possible with DV. Put 4559 at the top and bingo! Berenice's Hairclip was slap bang in the middle - nice not-so-little streak of light. Spent a long time just enjoying it, then the idea struck me: how many galaxies in the Coma-Virgo cluster could I see and identify?

That cued what was both a highly enjoyable and highly frustrating 20 minutes. Starting at Vindemiatrix (boy, I love the colour rendition in the Lunt!) and headed over to M60 just over a field away. Nice and obvious. Then I went over to M87 and the shenanigans began! I reckoned that, with M87 just below centre, I should be able to see 7 or 8 galaxies in the same field. I could see at least a dozen, most of which were in Markarian's Chain but, before going there, I thought I'd have a shufti at M58, which can be an elusive target in 70mm binos from my suburban back garden, "enhanced" as it is by the ghastly "improved" streetlights that Hampshire County Council has, in what it tries to pass off as its wisdom, decreed that I must endure. Popped 58 in the middle, and it disappeared. Used AV on it and there it was again. OK, fine, to be expected, so how many could I see in Markarian's Chain? Again, lots, until I tried to count them, when half of them disappeared. Concentrate on M86 or M84, the others come back again. Look at them, and most of them disappear. Frustrating when trying to count them, but fun just making them come and go at will.

So, how many galaxies did I see? I haven't a clue; I gave up trying to count them, but before chilly fingers and common sense sent me crawling back into my pit, I had a thoroughly enjoyable time.

Edited by BinocularSky
typos
  • Like 6

Sounds like a brilliant session, even with the street lights. I was tempted to go out last night, but tiredness, laziness and a 6 o'clock start this morning put pay to that! :)

Edited by kev100

There are a few spots in the garden where sheds (mine & neighbours') amd my fence shield me if I'm seated. They do nothing for sky darkness, though! I'd have thought they'd be better off spending the money on essential services like social care for the ailing elderly or something...

• Like 2
2 hours ago, BinocularSky said:

There are a few spots in the garden where sheds (mine & neighbours') amd my fence shield me if I'm seated. They do nothing for sky darkness, though! I'd have thought they'd be better off spending the money on essential services like social care for the ailing elderly or something...

How about them spending some money on ailing amateur Astronomers?

• Like 3

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By mdstuart
      Looking clear so I have been preparing my galaxy target list. I have been doing this for a while so these galaxies are typically mag 13/14 with a relatively high surface brightness in the plough.
      They have been selected using the skytools software. I have preflagged those galaxies that look possible with my 20 inch dob in mag 5 skies. Normally I have a 90% success rate with this method.
      I pick those to the N to NE which is darker for me as this is towards the Cotswolds.
      I have printed off charts to aid with star hoping. I use a RACI finder, then a 16mm eyepiece to locate the field and then a 10mm eyepiece to spot the galaxy. I might get through 7/8 galaxies in a session.
      So the list:
      NGC3517/NGC3530/UGC6534/NGC4081/NGC3648/NGC3694
      For the finale I will try the NGC3561/ARP105/NGC3554/NGC3552/NGC3550 group to see how many I can pick out.

Now I just need the sky to stay clear.
      If you fancy observing any of these tonight we can compare notes.
      Mark 
    • By cwinstone
      Hello, does anyone know if my imaging train looks correct, and if it does, why am i still getting these coma errors?
      Could it be incorrect backfocus? Searching the internet makes me think my dslr is 44mm, adding the t ring (even tried a 1mm spacer too) gets me to the required 55mm (assuming that's correct)
      I have no idea how to solve this and i feel like I'm just throwing money down the drain fighting this in vien. Help would be much appreciated.
      Skywacher Evostar 72ed
      Reducer rotator for 72ed (needs this for extra distance to achieve focus, the reducer and adapter alone doesn't allow for enough outwards travel)
      Reducer/corrector for ed72
      Canon eos 650d

• By JemC
      Hi all,
      Not sure which section to put this in? getting started or cameras, (Mods please move if necessary)
      Need a little help/advice/recommendations,
      I have been away from my telescope/astrophotography for about 2 maybe 3 years, i kind of lost the mojo for it, but now looking to get back to it,  So i'm looking for camera advice/help,
      Previously i only ever used a DSLR for astrophotography, however i am thinking do i stick with that or do i get something different? I know there will be a learning curve with new camera setup,
      My area of interest is/would be Nebulae and Galaxies,i know there is no one camera fits all kind of thing, so Nebulae would be my main interest with Galaxies coming 2nd.
      My current scope is the (Older Blue Model) Sky-Watcher Evostar 80 DS-PRO ED, so with that in mind what would be a good camera to pair that with, colour or mono i'm not fussed really,
      My budget for new/2nd hand camera is £700 but could maybe stretch to £800.
      Any help/advice (good or bad) will be greatly appreciated. 
      Regards
      JemC
    • By Sidecontrol
      Hi Everyone,

Not posted some images since my introduction in the welcome section.  With the dark nights finally back here in Scotland I thought Id share some of the DSOs I managed to capture back in Feb-April just before the light nights rolled in at the start of May.

These were all stacked and edited in PixInsight.  
      1.  The Running Man and Orion Nebula - less than an hour of integration time (SA pro + fuji 55-200mm lens).
      2. Bodes and Cigar Galaxy - Less than an hour of integration time ( SA pro + SW 72 ED telescope). 
      3. Flame, Horsehead, Running Man and Orion Nebula - Less than an hour of integration time (SA pro + fuji 55-200mm lens).
      4. Pinwheel Galaxy - 35 mins integration time (SA pro + SW 72 ED telescope).
      5  Whirlpool Galaxy - 21 mins integration time (SA pro + SW 72 ED telescope). 
      6.  Andromeda Galaxy - 1.5 minutes integration time (Move Shoot Move + fuji 55-200mm lens).  

• By Anthony RS
      Hello,
      Is anyone here using the TS Photon 6" F4 newtonian? I'm about to purchase it but I have some doubts and questions:
      1- Does it hold collimation well, at least in a single session?
      2- Is it impossible to balance in DEC due to its small dovetail or is it possible but harder?
      3- Is the focuser rigid enough or does it introduce tilt?
      4- Will collimating it be a nightmare?
      5- I'm really picky when it comes to coma, should I expect some coma on edges even while using the Skywatcher Aplanatic F4 CC?
      6- All in all, do you advice me to buy it or have some other option in the same price range.
      Cheers!
      Anthony

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.