Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
pyrasanth

M1 Test Image

Some of you may know I've been testing the new Innovations on axis guider which guides in the near infra red spectrum. The stars are less affected by seeing conditions & thus guiding is more accurate.

I had problems with direct guide on the Paramount so I switched back to PHD2 & using Optec focus lock to constantly monitor focus. My first test shot is below. Atik 460, Baader LRGB filters, 7x5 minutes in each channel. Very little post processing just stacked in CCDStack & tweaked in photoshop. I used Starshrink to shrink the stars slightly but they were not too bloated. I think the guiding solution works really well.

Let me know what you think. I could not get a lot of data tonight as M1 is sinking fast. I will colour correct when I have more data perhaps I need 200% more.

CrabMORESTARSHRUNK.png

Edited by pyrasanth
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, adamphillips said:

i think that looks really good for an RGB I wonder how it would look with luminance added

It has L- it's LRGB.

Really nice image - should be even better with more data. You've got an odd looking streak through some of the stars though.

2 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

Really nice image - should be even better with more data. You've got an odd looking streak through some of the stars though.

Thanks. The streak is caused by the single cable which leaves the secondary mirror focus system as this is  holding the secondary mirror in the middle of the corrector plate. I plan to purchase a special cable which is split into 4 which will give the more uniform 4 pointed diffraction pattern. I will get this on order in the next few days.

• Like 1

I had a look at the image calibration of the above data & whilst I don't have more data yet I cleaned up what I had. The result is below. I see more structure on the top left. The black might be slightly clipped but I will sort when I get more data. I had to clip the top of the image as I had a big dust spec move between flats & it messed up the image.

Crab-Calibrated.png

Edited by pyrasanth
  • Like 1

Looking really good and can you link to the IR guider you mentioned please ?

I continue to work on the image. This is the original set of data reworked- I have a load more data to integrate I just need to shoot a new UV flat but looking good so far:

Crab-Rework.png

• Like 1