Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bit of a mystery

Hawksmoor

After a hectic day decorating our kitchen, the clouds parted and I was presented with the first clear sky in ages. Unable to reach my 127mm refractor, because I had stacked all the furniture from the kitchen infront of the place where it is stored, I decided to take a few images with my DSLR on a Star adventurer mount. Whilst I was checking out focus I aimlessly snapped a couple of frames (30 secs at ISO6400 at f=300mm) in the general direction of Perseus. I then went on to take a series of wideframe images of M35. Today, whilst I was clearing out unwanted files from my laptop, I took a look at the 'focus frames' and noticed that I had captured a comet.  Not altogether surprising as I knew that Comet Catalina was expected to be somewhere on the Camelopardalis-Perseus border. For a bit of fun, having finished the decorating, I decided to create a noisy panorama with three of the images.  To my surprise, and close by but detached from the Comet, there was another bit of nebulosity.  First thoughts were that this was a faint star cluster. I ran the image through Astrometry net and nothing came up in this position. I then checked it out with my copy of Skymap Pro9 and nothing showed. So now at a loss for an explanation other than a processing defect.  Would be plkeased if someone with greater knowledge could throw light on my little mystery. Have attached images for your inspection. Many thanks in anticipation.

George

Perseus and Comet Catalina anno.png

Perseus and Comet Catalina.png

Perseus and Comet Catalinaanno enlargement.png

1 hour ago, Stu said:

SkySafari shows a mag 16.6 elliptical galaxy in the right sort of place PGC168425. Does that seem right?

image.png

Thank you Stu  for your help! Much appreciated. Surprised that my DSLR with an inexpensive telephoto lens in one 30 second exposure would register such a faint and diffuse object.

Many thanks George 

Archived