sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_2.thumb.jpg.72789c04780d7659f5b63ea05534a956.jpg

I'm ecstatic that I finally got a chance to see the aurora - I usually miss them whenever they make an appearance!  It gave me a chance to try out my new lens (Samyang 14mm f2.8) with my Canon 70d, and I can tell it's going to be a firm favourite!  Having never imaged the aurora before (and generally being pretty useless with processing software) I wasn't entirely sure how best to process them, but I think they turned out ok in the end!

aurora-8.jpg

• Like 40
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm ecstatic that I finally got a chance to see the aurora - I usually miss them whenever they make an appearance!  It gave me a chance to try out my new lens (Samyang 14mm f2.8) with my Canon 70d, an

Well done. Stunning picture. I believe they may be on show again tonight, so going to look out for them myself where I live if the clouds allow.  

Posted Images

Well done. Stunning picture. I believe they may be on show again tonight, so going to look out for them myself where I live if the clouds allow. :) 

• Like 2

Nice photo.  The light show last night was pretty spectacular even down here in Stoke-on-Trent.  But I didn't go out with the camera or the telescope. I'd been celebrating Mother's Day in the pub earlier.   But it's predicted to be similar tonight, so you may get another chance to take more images.   I'm keeping my fingers crossed as I'll be able to get out with the camera

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Dave Lloyd said:

That's a great pic.  My aurora watch app was showing amber throughout the evening but nothing to see despite clear skies.

And yet my friends on  holiday in Anglesey  got some great photos of the aurora on the beach at Benllech, and other friends who live around Portmadoc were treated to some great views. 

32 minutes ago, Staffs Oatcake said:

And yet my friends on  holiday in Anglesey  got some great photos of the aurora on the beach at Benllech, and other friends who live around Portmadoc were treated to some great views. 

Ahh, that's a good 80 miles from me I'm afraid.

On 7 March 2016 at 12:30, Dave Lloyd said:

Ahh, that's a good 80 miles from me I'm afraid.

Wonder what went on between you, and them in Wales and me and friends in the Staffordshire moorlands and  Uttoxeter.   But gaming said that I've been to Shetland to visit friends where we had no aurora and yet 3 miles down the road they had a truly great showing.  

1 hour ago, Dave Lloyd said:

I think Benllech faces north east over the Irish Sea. My north eastern aspect is Liverpool 20 miles away.

Mmm.  That might be why.  But for me it was more north north west than north east. 

• 2 months later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By JonnyT
      Hello everyone,
      I'm Jonny and I live in Farnborough in Hampshire, UK.
      My friend and I are taking our first baby-steps into night sky photography so I'm here for all the help I can get.
      We're just starting out so our equipment is very basic, but I'm sure the more we get into this the more we will upgrade over time.

Currently our set up consists of:
      Home-made Motorised Barn Door Tracker (my friend is an engineer)
      Canon 1100D with an 18-55mm Lens
      Laptop with BackyardEOS

We took everything out for it's first test-drive last week and the tracker works really well. Even on very long exposures the stars remain as points and not trails so we were really pleased with how it performed.
      I've attached what was probably our most successful picture of the evening. It' not amazing, but it's a start.
      I would really love to get some photos of the Milky Way and I'm hoping you all could suggest some settings to use, imaging techniques to try out and equipment upgrades? We're on a bit of a budget but we have photographer friends from whom we can beg and borrow equipment.
      Looking forward to chatting with you all in time.

Jonny

• By Frankiej90
      Hi all,
      Newbie to the forum but I just wanted to share some shots with you that I managed to get over the weekend. Got the Milky Way and even a few of NEOWISE which was amazing to witness 😊
      Milky Way - 5 x 20 seconds stacked (not tracked), 11mm, F/2.8, ISO 800
      NEOWISE Landscape shot - Single exposure, 8 seconds, 16mm, F/2.8, ISO 800
      NEOWISE Stack 1 - 2 x 10 seconds, 16mm, F/2.8, ISO 800
      NEOWISE Stack 2 - 2 x 13 seconds, 55mm, F/5.6, ISO 1600 
      For a first real attempt, I'm pretty pleased with them but obviously, I have a lot more to learn! 
      Frankie

• By KevinPSJ
      Wide angle shot of Milky Way in Cygnus. 10 min total (4 subs of 2.5 min each) at ISO 100. Nikon D3200 with kit lens at 18mm (f/5.6). Tracking on a skywatcher 150p EQ3-2 mount - no guiding.
    • By Varavall
      I sell my refurbished Nikon 300mm AF-S VR f2,8G ED with Nikon warranty until September 2020. I am selling as my interests require different equipment. It is in excellent functional state, the tripod mount and the original Nikon hood have wear commensurate with normal use. This objective is excellent for wildlife photography, astrophotography and sports photography. Also included is a set of Gobe neutral density filters to enable long exposure in bright conditions. I would consider exchange, with monetary adjustment if necessary, for something for astronomy such as Takahashi telescopes and/or quality equatorial mount.

Price £1900 (Current model available new for around £5500)

• By Sidecontrol
      Hey,
      I live in the NE of Scotland and have recently been bit by the Astrophotography bug!  I bought a Star tracker a few months back, but only started using it 3 weeks ago (due to crap weather).  The images posted are what I've managed to get with my Fujit XT2 and my various lenses.  Only just started stacking in DeepSkyStacker and trying to stretch / edit in Photoshop.  I've recently gotten the 45 day trial on Pixinsight so will be looking to try out editing in that.

Looking forward to learning a bunch from everyone!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.