SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Astrophotography with DSLR: Pleiades M45

jason32

Just shot that and tried to process in Pixinsight but for some reason it was turning the image in grey scale, any ideas why any pixinsight users?

Anyway I just processed it with any calibration frames.

Canon 100D

11 X 300 secs

ISO 800

f4.5

Skywatcher 130PDS

Celestron AVX

Final.jpg

Very nice image.

As for the gray image: did you set the CFA flag in batch preprocessing? It won't do debayering without.

Preprocesser does callibration on raw format, then debayering and finally registration and stacking.

Also, the right bayermask has to be selected (RGGB, BGGR; etc)

Hope this helps

3 hours ago, wimvb said:

Very nice image.

As for the gray image: did you set the CFA flag in batch preprocessing? It won't do debayering without.

Preprocesser does callibration on raw format, then debayering and finally registration and stacking.

Also, the right bayermask has to be selected (RGGB, BGGR; etc)

Hope this helps

So you have to do the integration on debayered files?

Yes, that's how PixInsight does it. The final image is a composition of individual pixels from all your light frames. Either the average of a certain pixel in all subs is calculated or the median value of pixels is taken. This is done when the colour information is already calculated. In mono, this is a non-issue of course.

You do need flats, or a very good case of DBE, but that will be difficult since the centre of this one is full of nebulosity. There is a massive blue bias as it stands and a very obvious central bright circle created by vignetting. Got to say it - one word - flats. Focus is tight, guiding is good but you need... I already mentioned it!!! :icon_biggrin:

Olly

4 hours ago, wimvb said:

Yes, that's how PixInsight does it. The final image is a composition of individual pixels from all your light frames. Either the average of a certain pixel in all subs is calculated or the median value of pixels is taken. This is done when the colour information is already calculated. In mono, this is a non-issue of course.

Ok I'll try to re-process this image in pixinsight. Can you recommend which settings to use for dslr subs when doing the batch processing calibration? (RGGB, BGGR; etc) and CFA settings? I think thats what I am doing wrong and the image is turning grey scale.

2 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

You do need flats, or a very good case of DBE, but that will be difficult since the centre of this one is full of nebulosity. There is a massive blue bias as it stands and a very obvious central bright circle created by vignetting. Got to say it - one word - flats. Focus is tight, guiding is good but you need... I already mentioned it!!! :icon_biggrin:

Olly

Yes I have those but couldnt process in pixinsight thats why its just a simple stack.

On ‎2016‎-‎03‎-‎08 at 22:44, jason32 said:

Ok I'll try to re-process this image in pixinsight. Can you recommend which settings to use for dslr subs when doing the batch processing calibration? (RGGB, BGGR; etc) and CFA settings? I think thats what I am doing wrong and the image is turning grey scale.

Bayer settings depend on your camera. If you look at the image information (exif data) in Pixinsight or a RAW processing  program, it usually shows this information. In Pixinsight, if you open a RAW image, the information is in the process console (see attached screendump). For my Pentax the filter pattern is BGGR.

As for Batch preprocessing; default values are usually ok. But sometimes I have to increase the noise reduction for Image Registration from 0 to 2. Otherwise the images register on hot pixels rather than stars. This of course depends on how good calibration was at removing hot pixels.

And as Olly already stressed (several times, but never enough :tongue2:): you absolutely need flats. It may be possible to correct vignetting by using DBE, but my experience is that processing is MUCH easier if you correct at the data collection stage, rather than the processing stage.

Good luck,

PI_rawinfo.png

On 09/03/2016 at 23:37, wimvb said:

Bayer settings depend on your camera. If you look at the image information (exif data) in Pixinsight or a RAW processing  program, it usually shows this information. In Pixinsight, if you open a RAW image, the information is in the process console (see attached screendump). For my Pentax the filter pattern is BGGR.

As for Batch preprocessing; default values are usually ok. But sometimes I have to increase the noise reduction for Image Registration from 0 to 2. Otherwise the images register on hot pixels rather than stars. This of course depends on how good calibration was at removing hot pixels.

And as Olly already stressed (several times, but never enough :tongue2:): you absolutely need flats. It may be possible to correct vignetting by using DBE, but my experience is that processing is MUCH easier if you correct at the data collection stage, rather than the processing stage.

Good luck,

PI_rawinfo.png

Ok great thanks will try this. Yes I always do take flats too but couldnt process in pixinsight so will try this after you've given me the info ;)

I just worked through the whole calibrating and stacking precess in PixInsight with this tutorial http://www.lightvortexastronomy.com/tutorial-pre-processing-calibrating-and-stacking-images-in-pixinsight.html which actually uses DSLR data - found it very helpful and explanatory. You might want to try it ? I'm sure my image was the better for it. 

8 hours ago, russp said:

I just worked through the whole calibrating and stacking precess in PixInsight with this tutorial http://www.lightvortexastronomy.com/tutorial-pre-processing-calibrating-and-stacking-images-in-pixinsight.html which actually uses DSLR data - found it very helpful and explanatory. You might want to try it ? I'm sure my image was the better for it. 

Wow thats a very detailed tutorial..reading that now...thanks :)

On Monday, March 07, 2016 at 04:37, jason32 said:

Just shot that and tried to process in Pixinsight but for some reason it was turning the image in grey scale, any ideas why any pixinsight users?

Anyway I just processed it with any calibration frames.

Canon 100D

11 X 300 secs

ISO 800

f4.5

Skywatcher 130PDS

Celestron AVX

Final.jpg

Nice image, is your Canon modified?

On 11/03/2016 at 07:27, russp said:

Followed that tutorial...found a lot of things I was doing wrong...thanks ;)

Got this one:

rosette-nebula.jpg

Archived