SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

40 Eridani - a great triple!

Hyperion76

Just to say for those of you who like a target  which is not only interesting visualy but also contains a great deal of science behind it then this is the triple for you! The main mag 4.4 star is sun like and is easy to spot ,following this is one of the easiest white dwarves to spot in the night sky and very close to this a red dwarf. I found the latter at mag 11 a little bit of a challenge as it is low in the sky west of Rigel  but spotted it with averted vision.Any way I just thought I'd mention it as a grat target .Here are some images and diagrams to elp show this interesting triple. The last of my three images is the most interesting and highlights why this target deserves a look.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 37

This is 40 Eridani is probably my favorite multiple system, and the only one I can think in which a yellow dwarf, a white dwarf and a red dwarf can be observed together in a smallish scope.

An interesting bit of Science Fiction trivia:  It has been decided and generally accepted that in the Star Trek Universe 40 Eridani is where Spock's home planet of Vulcan is located.

• Like 10

always good to find out something interesting / unique - not seen this before, will try for this on next session - thanks for sharing!

whilst there is a double star 'catalog' , is there a list of triples / quad / quintets etc? there are a couple in orion / monocerous - would be interested to find a few more for next session :)

• Like 1

I've seen the white dwarf in the Omicron 2 Eri system in a 60mm refractor, especially with averted vision. It takes about 240 years for the white dwarf to orbit the primary. The red dwarf ( not visible in the 60mm 'scope ) takes 8000 years to orbit.

• Like 2

Interesting........

32 minutes ago, Merlin said:

I've seen the white dwarf in the Omicron 2 Eri system in a 60mm refractor, especially with averted vision. It takes about 240 years for the white dwarf to orbit the primary. The red dwarf ( not visible in the 60mm 'scope ) takes 8000 years to orbit.

I can imagine as I needed averted vision with an 8"sct to see the red dwarf

• 3 weeks later...

Definitely. I came across this system for the first time a couple of months ago - it's quite nice to look at in its own right, but knowing what it is/are is mind-blowing.

Let me see how my observing notes for that night record my excitement: "A is a bright lemon-orange star, B is too faint for any real colour, C is close to B and averted-vision but not difficult." I think it must have been a bit cold. :icon_biggrin:

• Like 1

On 5 March 2016 at 16:23, StarSapling said:

This is 40 Eridani is probably my favorite multiple system, and the only one I can think in which a yellow dwarf, a white dwarf and a red dwarf can be observed together in a smallish scope.

An interesting bit of Science Fiction trivia:  It has been decided and generally accepted that in the Star Trek Universe 40 Eridani is where Spock's home planet of Vulcan is located.

SkySafari lists the main star Keid's alternative name as ........you guessed it..... Vulcan ?

image.png

• Like 5

On 28 March 2016 at 22:05, neural said:

Definitely. I came across this system for the first time a couple of months ago - it's quite nice to look at in its own right, but knowing what it is/are is mind-blowing.

Let me see how my observing notes for that night record my excitement: "A is a bright lemon-orange star, B is too faint for any real colour, C is close to B and averted-vision but not difficult." I think it must have been a bit cold. :icon_biggrin:

For any one trying for the first time use averted vision to get the C red  dwarf which is really close to B , as I discovered when getting on the second night of observing.

I think I've heard of this before, probably through the star trek reference though, but now I know where it is, it looks a great target to track down. I think it may have set behind the houses now though, when it's dark; so may have to wait until next winter.

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 07/01/2017 at 11:13, Hyperion76 said:

I just thought I would give this post a bump as its a great star sytem both to stidy and as a challenge to get all three stars . Eridanus is well placed now so good luck.

and again this year ,

• Like 1

• 2 years later...