SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Heads up: Jupiter moon and shadow transits

kerrylewis

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, John said:

Fantastic !

Europa has just started it's transit with it's shadow immediately to the s of it - like some weird double star with one white and one black component both touching each other. I've not see that effect before.

Yes looking good. I've not seen that either

This is absolutely spectacular. Was about to ask you guys if this kind of view, both the moon and the shadow so Close and visible is common.

Blessed With very good seeing here on the coast of norway too. Simply have to wait up for Io.

Looking lovely here. Seeing is a bit wobbly but stabilizing every now and then, views spectacular when it does. Just warming my toes up for the next one.

I do remember the same effect last opposition with moon and shadow very close together, makes it easier to track the moon I guess!

Io is on the disk !

Almost on top of it's shadow.

Of course Stu is quite correct - these effects are due to Jupiter being, more or less, right on opposition right now (well, within a few hours).

Super stuff :icon_biggrin:

I've lost Europa now but it's shadow is showing it's position - about halfway across the disk, maybe just a tad more.

2 minutes ago, John said:

Io is on the disk !

Almost on top of it's shadow.

Of course Stu is quite correct - these effects are due to Jupiter being, more or less, right on opposition right now (well, within a few hours).

Super stuff :icon_biggrin:

Yes a matching pair, not sure i have seen the discs and shadows so close before.

I reckon I'm only seeing a portion of the shadow at the current time, the rest being masked by Io's disk. 

Apologies for the running commentary by the way - it's quite exciting though !

I swear ive been observing Jupiter from 250 - 338x With my 8" dob since before the transit.

Ive never ever seen anything like it. Lost track of  Europa after awhile (the moon itself, not the shadow), had to go in and warm up a bit.

But then Io came along, and another fantastic view! I am sorry, but Im so happy that I almost feel drunk. 338x!

Blimey, never ever thought that would happen to me.

Yay!

Still superb viewing here as well :hello2:

Europa's shadow is around 2/3rds of the way across the disk but the disk of the moon is against the light toned cloud tops on the S boundary of the SEB so has become "invisible". Io's disk however is still clearly showing against the darker tone of the N part of the SEB with the shadow pressed up close to it.

Best Jupiter session for months I reckon :icon_biggrin:

Played around with an assortment of eye pieces but settled on the 13mm Ethos, nice views between the wobbly seeing and the floaters in my eyes :)

Even managed a couple of vids but not looking at them 'till tomorrow.

Turning in now, night all.

Dave

It's great stuff isn't it? ??

Likewise, best session for a while, although I've had a few good ones with Jupiter recently. My faith has been restored by the improved seeing as much as anything.

I agree John, lost Europa but can still see Io. Shadows looking jet black. Io looks almost 3D with the shadow behind it. So much detail in the belts, large festoon centre disk now I can reckon

Europa now quite obvious again fractionally S of it's shadow. Io still centrally placed so the disk is more challenging.

Excellent event and many thanks to Kerry for the heads up :headbang:

Jupiter will drop behind the house soon so that will be my lot. Super viewing though and a great final section to whats been a pretty good few hours viewing all in all covering a dozen or so galaxies, clusters, planetary nebulae, emission nebulae and binary stars. Best this year by some way :icon_biggrin:

Archived