Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Camping Site Recommendations around the North West

Living inside Greater Manchester is proving to be a big problem when looking for dark skies. Nearby darker sites such as Hathersage, Bacup and Marsden can take over an hour to get to by car, and then once there, there are no suitable or safe areas to park. 

I have read threads which suggest camping as the way to go. I would like recommendations for dark sky camping sites in the Yorkshire Dales, Peak District or even a bit further out into North Wales.

Cost wise, I'm looking at under £60 for two nights in total. For it to be economical, the cost has to be comparable to petrol costs for a return trip from Manchester to Edinburgh [440 miles, £45 approx] . Otherwise, It would be cheaper for me to go to my parent's house instead.

So lets hear it! Think of the local tourism industry. I am willing to spend money [within reason].

When I was doing the Yorkshire 3 Peaks challenged. We stopped at a site in the upper ribble valley in the West Yorkshire dales.  It was grim and dismal weather,  so never saw the sky, but there were very few street lights or towns to the north.   It's called Knights Stainforth and we loved the site.  

On 5 March 2016 at 21:29, Naaaysmith said:

Living inside Greater Manchester is proving to be a big problem when looking for dark skies. Nearby darker sites such as Hathersage, Bacup and Marsden can take over an hour to get to by car, and then once there, there are no suitable or safe areas to park. 

I have read threads which suggest camping as the way to go. I would like recommendations for dark sky camping sites in the Yorkshire Dales, Peak District or even a bit further out into North Wales.

Cost wise, I'm looking at under £60 for two nights in total. For it to be economical, the cost has to be comparable to petrol costs for a return trip from Manchester to Edinburgh [440 miles, £45 approx] . Otherwise, It would be cheaper for me to go to my parent's house instead.

So lets hear it! Think of the local tourism industry. I am willing to spend money [within reason].

Anglesea would be great as would Galloway Forest in Scotland and Kielder Forest in Northumberland. We have been to all the areas and they all have campsites. I did drive through part of the Peak District National Park which looked a possibility.

Hope this helps a little

helen

Theres a camp site on the A65 from Long Preston to Cowan Bridge area. Think it's called Pine Lodge or something like that.  Sorry if that sounds a little vague, but you will be up near the three peaks and it's pretty dark and not much light pollution.

ATB

Bob

Perhaps Sedbergh, which is conveniently reached from the M6, I believe that there are three camping and caravan sites in the vicinity and quite a few more in the area. I haven't so far stayed at any but keep meaning to use this one as part of a cycle tour one day. Costs are very reasonable and the sky will be dark.

http://www.holmeopenfarm.co.uk/camping.html

More campsites sourced from here

http://www.sedbergh.org.uk/

• 4 months later...

I was up at Bolton Abbey the other day - not in Bolton, but the other side of skipton - it was in the day time, but it looked pretty clear of street lights and the dark sky map seemed favourable. And they have a  campsite there.

other than that, I head down to winscar reservoir, in the peak district, with the WADAS guys (check out their thread in the society section), it takes  about 30-35 mins from the end of the M67 (so depends how far from there you live).

On 20/07/2016 at 22:45, faulksy said:

a great site on the llyn peninsula north wales is ty-newyd they are applying for dark sky status, postcode for them is ll538by, its 12 quid a night with electric

Wow, that's a fabulous site! :) With a great horizon to boot.

Archived