Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

JohnKW

frustrating but exciting

Have just been outside with my 8 year old staring at the sky - it's a wonderfully clear night despite the light pollution. Was pointing out various things to her - Dubhe, Merak and the big dipper, polaris, betelgeuse, rigel, onions belt, jupiter over in the east.

Frustrating as I have a brand new Nexstar 6SE sat indoors in it's box that I'm not allowed to open until my birthday on 17th...

Thanks for all the advice on my 'what scope should I get' thread - now just waiting to be able to get out and use it...

• Like 1

I know the feeling... I had to wait two months to get a telescope I knew was coming, for Christmas. But trust me, the wait is worth it. :happy6:

• Like 1

Hi and welcome to SGL - Glad that you found us and that the good folks of SGL were able to help on your scope decsision,

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Hi John and welcome to SGL, I am sure you and especially your daughter will be delighted when the 17 arrives. Wishing clear skies for you, enjoy the forum and your new scope :)

Hi, welcome to SGL :) The 17th isn't that far away ;)

Hi and welcome aboard.

11 days to go to the stars...! :hello:

Hi John, (+ daughter), and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

You can use the time to learn some constellations, other than Orion and the big dipper. Depending on your skies, you can also try to locate some naked eye objects, like the planets, M45, M42, M31, M44 and maybe others.

Why wait just open it and get it set up:hello2:, welcome to the forum.