Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Thinking of getting a planetary EP to use, and like the look of this EP, http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-eyepieces/skywatcher-uwa-planetary-eyepieces.html, which would give me x240 on my Skywatcher Startravel 120 refractor (max x240), so at the maximum level of magnification for this scope, and x260 on my Celestron Astromaster 130 EQM (max x306), which is still well under for this scope. Read a few mixed reviews on them, so any feed back would be grateful, especially if you have used this EP on one of the above scopes too.

Cheers,

Gus

Edited by Knighty2112
spelling

Hi Gus,

I think it may be overkill and only suited when skies are perfect.

GB/UK skies tend to be more :clouds2: or  :clouds1: 

Edited by Philip R
  • Like 1

Which other eyepieces at the high mag end do you have Gus? I agree that this will probably be too much for your scopes and the seeing for most occasions, so unless you already have x180 through to x220 covered I would look at slightly longer focal lengths

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Stu said:

Which other eyepieces at the high mag end do you have Gus? I agree that this will probably be too much for your scopes and the seeing for most occasions, so unless you already have x180 through to x220 covered I would look at slightly longer focal lengths

I have a Celestron Omni 6mm EP already, plus a stock 4mm by Skywatcher.

1 hour ago, Philip R said:

Hi Gus,

I think it may be overkill and only suited when skies are perfect.

GB/UK skies tend to be more :clouds2: or  :clouds1: 

So is perhaps a 5mm or 4mm better suited pushing the magnification to x120 & x150, rather than trying to coax x240 mag on the ST120?

I just bought an ST120 and even under decent clear skies I thought 120x to 150x was about it for the detail I could see on Jupiter (got to see a double shadow transit the other night and that was at 120x). Its more to do with exit pupil than magnification I assume. I also felt that the chromatic abberation this scope shows around the edge of Jupiter interfered more with the view when the planet appeared smaller in the eyepiece. So maybe the 4mm is a good middle ground, but I'd defer to folks who have had longer with this scope. I only have a 5mm and  barlowed an 8mm to get to 150x.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Brasspoodle said:

I just bought an ST120 and even under decent clear skies I thought 120x to 150x was about it for the detail I could see on Jupiter (got to see a double shadow transit the other night and that was at 120x). Its more to do with exit pupil than magnification I assume. I also felt that the chromatic abberation this scope shows around the edge of Jupiter interfered more with the view when the planet appeared smaller in the eyepiece. So maybe the 4mm is a good middle ground, but I'd defer to folks who have had longer with this scope. I only have a 5mm and  barlowed an 8mm to get to 150x.

Yeah, just did an Excel chart to lay out all the options for magnification on all my telescope against EP sizes from 2.5mm upto 6mm, and the 4 or 5mm EP comes up better to work with on most of them. In fact if I go with the 5mm EP I could with my 2x Barlow reach the theoretical  maximum magnification on all but one of my scopes, so on the odd night that the seeing is near perfect then I could use that route. Plus the 5mm EP will be a little easier to look through over any smaller ones. :)

• Like 1

These F/5 achromats are just not designed for high power observing. They are great for low to medium power and wide / rich field views - thats their forte.

The theoretical maximum magnification of 240x assumes perfect conditions and perfect optics and we rarely have those luxuries so the practical max is somewhat lower.

I reckon 120x - 150x would be pushing the scopes personally.

• Like 1