SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Just seen Saturn for the first time.. ....just had to tell someone! :)

....wow, so dainty, and took a while to make out the rings (well I could just make out a ring not rings truth be told) Found it better to look quite far away from the eyepiece. Is that normal?

Been up since 5am yesterday, as in Friday, started work at 7am.....can't believe I've been up all night....I think my toes are still there!

woop! :)

Congratulations on your first view of Saturn and her wonderful ring(s)!

You must be tired and closing in on shock - otherwise your enthusiasm would register a higher note in your posting. Do tell what scope you're using and eyepiece?

Get a good sleep - and hope the weather cooperates for a repeat performance.

Clear and stay clear skies,

Dave

Hi Dave.....I did loose a toe which froze and broke off, now on way to hospital ?

Im a newbie but learning fast. Got a SkyWatcher Explorer 130m with EQ2 mount.

Bought a 32mm Celestron Omni Plossl for deep space stuff, which works quite good actually, TeleVue 15mm Plossl for mid range, a SkyWatcher Planetary 6mm for planets (on a recommendation from a shop but have yet to get a nice clean view, so hmm...) and a Celstron X-Cel LX Barlow.

I find the 32mm Celestron with the Barlow work quite well actually.

Also bought a few filters, an Explore Scientific UHC Nebula (which works a treat and can fainted see green with averted vision), and a Baader Neyodimeom, which I haven't used much.

Just waiting for my telescope to de-steam, then I might be able to have that thing called "sleep"

Am so chuffed I saw Saturn though...been waiting for ages for a clear sky and not a school night!

p

Congrats!! Saturn is a jaw dropper indeed - not only first time but every time I see it. One of the most beautiful sights in the night sky.

Wait till you see it high in the sky and crystal clear - I could watch it forever lol. :)

2 hours ago, pblackwell said:

Hi Dave.....I did loose a toe which froze and broke off, now on way to hospital ?

Im a newbie but learning fast. Got a SkyWatcher Explorer 130m with EQ2 mount.

Bought a 32mm Celestron Omni Plossl for deep space stuff, which works quite good actually, TeleVue 15mm Plossl for mid range, a SkyWatcher Planetary 6mm for planets (on a recommendation from a shop but have yet to get a nice clean view, so hmm...) and a Celstron X-Cel LX Barlow.

I find the 32mm Celestron with the Barlow work quite well actually.

Also bought a few filters, an Explore Scientific UHC Nebula (which works a treat and can fainted see green with averted vision), and a Baader Neyodimeom, which I haven't used much.

Just waiting for my telescope to de-steam, then I might be able to have that thing called "sleep"

Am so chuffed I saw Saturn though...been waiting for ages for a clear sky and not a school night!

p

enjoy it.

also, i'd say there is no need for you to barlow 32mm, as it gives you 16mm with much much more glass than your TV 15mm...stay away from barlow unless it gives you an otherwise unavailable focal length

Congratulations!

Had big plans myself to wait up for Saturn to show, but got too tired.

Remember my first view of this planet very well (130p Heritage), and like you, really wanted to tell everbody.

Rune

2 hours ago, BGazing said:

enjoy it.

also, i'd say there is no need for you to barlow 32mm, as it gives you 16mm with much much more glass than your TV 15mm...stay away from barlow unless it gives you an otherwise unavailable focal length

Congratulations (said with a bit of jealousy ?) i have yet to see saturn as rises at stupid o'clock in my part of the world at the moment. Cant wait to view it though and experience everyone elses excitement.

Congratulations. I hope to follow you some time soon.

I have spotted Saturn once, some weeks ago. Then it was just a golden ball with small ears, which I guessed were the rings. I hope to see it so that it is clearly recognizable.

6 minutes ago, Linda said:

Congratulations. I hope to follow you some time soon.

I have spotted Saturn once, some weeks ago. Then it was just a golden ball with small ears, which I guessed were the rings. I hope to see it so that it is clearly recognizable.

is it really low in the norwegian sky? i guess your skies do not change that much and the planets are all fairly low?

17 minutes ago, pblackwell said:

BBC weather app showing another clear sky night tonight all night ?

.......hmmm 

Haha i use astropanel app it also says clear skies for Manchester tonight. It has a habit of being wrong lol ?

2 hours ago, BGazing said:

is it really low in the norwegian sky? i guess your skies do not change that much and the planets are all fairly low?

No, not all planets. Jupiter is very high in the middle of the night. And last time I saw Mars, it was also high.

But when I check in Stellerium, Saturn is not high at the moment. And from my house I have a hill blocking the horizon in that direction.

4 hours ago, pblackwell said:

BBC weather app showing another clear sky night tonight all night ?

.......hmmm 

you might want to check out FLO's app (ClearOutside) and meteoblue's astronomical seeing (has some additional data on jet streams and bad layers). they might really help in planning your sessions, although one never knows with english weather...

Saturn is a legend every time, but the first look is very magical. Then getting a good enough sky to make out the Cassini division is a real thrill to. Titan is almost always visible which adds the show. Enjoy next opprtunity!

I remember the first time we saw Saturn through my telescope.

I was showing the step son and grand kids the skies and there was Saturn. I began adding my Barlow's to the eyepiece.

First, the 2X. Humm, bigger! Then the 3X, now we're getting somewhere. Then stacked the two Barlow's... Darkened things up a bit, but no doubt it was big Ol Saturn.

The son was looking while I ran in to call the wives out. They all got excited about seeing Saturn for the first time ever Live.

Congratulations! :hello2:

Archived