Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Well I just now bit on my first expensive-ish 35mm panoptic Televue Nagler eyepiece on Ebay. I've only ever owned  1.25" cheapy Plossl lenses that came with my Dobsonian, but I recently bought a nice little refractor that allows for 2" eyepieces. Seeing as how star party season and warm nights are almost here I decided to spoil myself by getting my first nice eyepiece. Whether I win this one or not I'll eventually be getting one, haha...but for the sake of it wish me luck!

I'm sharing this with you all because I don't think my husband or kids really give a Rubbish and I'm pretty excited about this, haha. 

• Like 6

I hope you win the eyepiece - the 35mm Panoptic seems to be one of those creations that you read nothing but praise and warm feelings for :D

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John said:

I hope you win the eyepiece - the 35mm Panoptic seems to be one of those creations that you read nothing but praise and warm feelings for :D

Happy to hear that! Yeah I hope I win it too...the price was about half of what they go for. :)

• Like 1

Good luck!

That's some "...nice little refractor..." you have there! 4.5" apochromat by ES! If ever there was a reason to upgrade one's eyepieces - you sure have one now!

Zounds!

Dave

• Like 1

35mm Pan is one of my faves - and the 24mm 1.25" is awesome as well - loads a luck with the bidding! :)

6 hours ago, Star Slinger said:

I'm sharing this with you all because I don't think my husband or kids really give a Rubbish and I'm pretty excited about this, haha. 

LOL

Nothing niceer that looking through a bit of quality glass, now all you have to do is work your way down the complete Naglar list.....good luck with the bidding.

Wait wait...I misread the ad. It's apparently just a 35mm Tele Vue panoptic ep with "Nagler like precision" LOL. I guess that would make sense for the price...it's still half the price of what these ep's go for either way. Still excited...but would eventually like a Nagler.

Anyone have any experience with the Tele Vue 2" 35mm Panoptic lens?

$_103.JPG?set_id=880000500F

Edited by Star Slinger

I don't have it myself, but I know it is a beautiful eyepiece. Very sharp and the 68° field of view frames the objects most pleasantly. The 35mm Panoptic is a generous eyepiece in every way. It has  a long eye relief, is optically of high quality, is well built and will give you a wide true view of the sky. You'll love it. 

Hope you actually get it.

• Like 1

I have the 35mm Pan and it's just as Ruud describes it - fabulous eyepiece - and hard to find s/h nowadays. Go for it you won't regret it. :)

• Like 1

Ugh well...it got away. Bidding on another one and if I don't get that one either then I'm just gonna put my big girl pants on and buy a Nagler. :p

12 minutes ago, Star Slinger said:

Ugh well...it got away. Bidding on another one and if I don't get that one either then I'm just gonna put my big girl pants on and buy a Nagler. :p

Don't be surprised if the winning bid is quite high. Tele Vue is a sought after brand and I've seen end prices on e.bay for pre-owned items get surprisingly close to what you could buy a new one for. A fair price, assuming that the eyepiece is in very good condition, is around 70% of the new price.

Tele Vue have a number of eyepiece ranges:

- Zoom

- Plossl

- Delite

- Panoptic

- Delos

- Nagler

- Ethos

The ranges all offer top quality with the field of view ranging from 50 degrees to 110 degrees and the cost inceasing as the field of view increases.

Good luck in your bidding !

You will need to prepare your self for the surprised reactions of your fellow observers when you lift your eye from that eyepiece. Whether you want it to be or not, your expression will be wide eyed and smiling. Good luck, and I am envious of your E.S. apo. refractor. Very nice piece of equipment, um sorry, I mean kit.

Good Luck on your bidding!

Hey Star Slinger -

I just noticed you're a USA-person. Have you heard of Astromart? They're the largest, and best imho, sellers of used astro-gear of all descriptions - including eyepieces. They also have a great many reviews of gear, and all kinds of things in it. To weed out the swindlers, they encourage the rating people leave about their experiences with sellers and such. And they have fee of $15/year. That's only if you plan to buy/sell from user's listings. I've always had good experiences going through them. Here's a link:

http://www.astromart.com/

Good luck on your quest! I recently had a need to make a few additions to my 2" EP family. Mostly to appease my desire for the widest FOV's and lower magnifications.

Have fun!

Dave

Edited by Dave In Vermont

I'm slowly accumulating decent eyepieces second hand but through astrobuyandsell and SGL rather than ebay. But on ebay you never know how bids will go - sometimes competition for an item pushes it up in price - sometimes if you're the only buyer at that moment you get a steal.

I spotted a really good dobsonian on ebay recently but didn't bid as I only saw it hours before the bidding closed and on principle I didn't want to bid under time pressure or without the opportunity to swap emails with the seller to check they were genuine as that is how mistakes in judgement occur. 

In the end it sold to a single bidder who got it for their initial (low-ball) bid and I was then kicking myself!