SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Telescope service HR 15mm planetary eyepiece

Haven't heard how these ep's fare in the double digit focal lengths. The 2.5-9mm range were nice ep's, but never tried the lower power ones before. 

Off the top of my head and presuming in keeping with similar sized ep's in it's price range the following could be researched...

Revelation(GSO?) 15mm Superview - 68°afov, 13mmER . Cheap.... no more than 30 gold coins. I've often wondered how this ep would work in my slow scopes.

Paradigm/BST/Starguider 15mm - 60°afov, 16mmER. 'Tween 40-60 gold coins?

Edge On/Flat Field (various re-badges) 16mm - 60°afov, 17mmER. 'Tween 40-65 gold coins?

I'm sure any of the above would work nicely in a slower system and humbly apologise for not answering your actual question. Hopefully someone actually has tried one & can offer their views.

:) Andy.

21 minutes ago, AndyH said:

Haven't heard how these ep's fare in the double digit focal lengths. The 2.5-9mm range were nice ep's, but never tried the lower power ones before. 

Off the top of my head and presuming in keeping with similar sized ep's in it's price range the following could be researched...

Revelation(GSO?) 15mm Superview - 68°afov, 13mmER . Cheap.... no more than 30 gold coins. I've often wondered how this ep would work in my slow scopes.

Paradigm/BST/Starguider 15mm - 60°afov, 16mmER. 'Tween 40-60 gold coins?

Edge On/Flat Field (various re-badges) 16mm - 60°afov, 17mmER. 'Tween 40-65 gold coins?

I'm sure any of the above would work nicely in a slower system and humbly apologise for not answering your actual question. Hopefully someone actually has tried one & can offer their views.

:) Andy.

The Revelatiion might be worth a punt, if its no good then it becomes a paperweight, i did own a 3.2 HR an d thought it quite nice, i have owned all the BST explorers and they were good but dont see me going back to them

14 minutes ago, estwing said:
14 minutes ago, estwing said:

gold coins.....love it!:icon_pirat:

gold coins.....love it!:icon_pirat:

Arrrrr Est', me bucko !!

Sorry, been binge watching 'Black Sails'.

pir8.gif

Jules I've got a 15mm superview in the EP case.. found it mushy in the outer 30% in an f5 (it was a 130 astromaster newt so no great optics... relatively speaking) but in an f10 evo90... It was not too shabby.. 

If you want a lone before you cash in the bounty your more than welcome! 

I have TS HR 15mm, 9mm and 5mm. they work quite well in my first scope 130pf5. only the last 10-15% near the edge show some astigmatism, not bad at all.

Compare to BST starguider (I had 8mm and 12mm) TS HR showed less scatter light around Jupiter, slightly more pleasant star colours to my eye.

15mm is a little different than 5mm and 9mm in a couple of ways:

1. Eye guard, it has both soft rubber eye cup and twist up eye guide. the twist up has very long range, around 14mm! you can get ER as short as a 3mm ortho if you feel for it:smiley:

2. The barrel is smooth one, not undercut as the shorter ones.

TS_HR_5mm_9mm_15mm.thumb.jpg.ea22deb0552

11 hours ago, Fozzie said:

Jules I've got a 15mm superview in the EP case.. found it mushy in the outer 30% in an f5 (it was a 130 astromaster newt so no great optics... relatively speaking) but in an f10 evo90... It was not too shabby.. 

If you want a lone before you cash in the bounty your more than welcome! 

Fozzie, very kind of you, but at the price these are i think i might just hand over 28 pieces of gold and make the purchase, have you ever tried it with a barlow?

I've not used one with a Barlow,  with a focal extender though I have and as before in the EVO 90 and the star wave it has not been a bad eyepiece... I do recall it was demonstrably better in the 200p then I thought it would be as well.. 

I've got the 20mm and 15mm superview..  I was saving the 15mm for binoviewing purposes.. but I'm starting to think in the f11 at least it's way to much magnification.. and had the chance to see in the 72mm ed yet..

Other than that I only use them for "outreach" when people have a tenancy to grab for the eyepiece before I can get a good wrist slap in.. 

The 20mm is very redundant as I gave 2 WO 20mm wide angles..

Seriously if you want to loan in the meantime.. 

Ta

Fozzie

5 minutes ago, Fozzie said:

I've not used one with a Barlow,  with a focal extender though I have and as before in the EVO 90 and the star wave it has not been a bad eyepiece... I do recall it was demonstrably better in the 200p then I thought it would be as well.. 

I've got the 20mm and 15mm superview..  I was saving the 15mm for binoviewing purposes.. but I'm starting to think in the f11 at least it's way to much magnification.. and had the chance to see in the 72mm ed yet..

Other than that I only use them for "outreach" when people have a tenancy to grab for the eyepiece before I can get a good wrist slap in.. 

The 20mm is very redundant as I gave 2 WO 20mm wide angles..

Seriously if you want to loan in the meantime.. 

Ta

Fozzie

Much as i am tempted to take you up on the very kind offer to loan this, it would mean 2 way postage plus the long wait for clear skies and work not getting in the way to find out if it works for me, hence why i think it would be best to just buy one, i have placed a wanted add to see if a good used one comes up, but i may bite the bullet and just go for as new one, i feel this might be a bit of a goldilocks ep for my 150 pro mak

Archived