SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Aligning EQ6 with SynScan in Southern Hemisphere

Hi all,

I have an EQ6 upgraded with the kit (Stepper motors with SynScan v 4.05.17) and am wanting to do some imaging with a Nikon D800 DSLR and a Nikon 300mm f4 lens.

Ultimately I'll get a laptop and use something like EQMOD.

I'm in the SH and can't do a polar alignment due to obstructions, so am trying to do a 2 star alignment and have worked through the initialisation and get to "Polaris Position in P.Scope = HH:MM" which seems a bit obtuse to me seeing as I've entered all the coordinates and time for the Southern Hemisphere.

I just hit enter (?) and continued to alignment.  :icon_scratch:  Didn't seem to stuff things up too much as I was in the ballpark with where the mount was pointing.

I couldn't proceed any further as I couldn't get a decent look through the camera's viewfinder, or at the live-view screen, because of the position the mount was in.

Hopefully I've overcome this issue by downloading the Helicon Remote App which gives me Live View on my mobile. Fingers crossed.

So, should I concern myself with the above reference to the Polaris position, or just ignore it?

If Mother Nature is kind, and gives me some clear skies tonight, perhaps I can try it all out.

Archived