SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First light with M42 Lodestar

Phisci

Using Lodestar X2, 0.5x focal reducer via Orion ST80 refractor on polar aligned EQ5 mount (used CCD drift alignment), exposure of around 3sec, not stacking yet (as far as I know). 

Tried to see horsehead nebula, no luck, think I need a filter. Could see flame nebula though

Pic taken with cellphone of laptop monitor

Any advice on getting more detail, less star bloating?

M42 Lodestar X2.jpg

Nice M42 - maybe you need a UV/IR block filter with your frac to minimise star bloat ;o) 

BTW HH is directly south of Zeta Orionis adj to Flame Neb which you can do via starhopping with good chart.

Nytecam

Got this little gem last night,  first time for me. From the city, used an orion extremely narrow band hydrogen alpha filter with an 80mm orion/skywatcher refractor, f5. No stacking, about 15 secs

IMG-20160304-WA0018.jpg

Lovely set of captures!

You can export what you see in the Image Export Tab, there is a group box 'Export Current Processed Image' with a save button in it - it will save what is on display as a PNG or JPG file.

Those are great, Phisci.

I was browsing here to see what sort of imaging comes with a Loadstar x2, because I'm pondering trying video.

I'm impressed the camera can do this well considering it isn't advertised as a DSO camera, but a planetary type.

You didn't say what nm your Hydrogen Alpha filter is, I have one that is a Baader Ha7nm, I like for any red nebula. Do you use a filter wheel, or directly attach?

I'm considering trying experimenting with my Orion Eyepiece camera just because I have it, or moving my SSAG down and swapping it out with my G3 which can be used as an Auto-guider camera. I've never reconfigured that way, and I'm curious... Just thought I'd try with what I have. :happy6:

• 6 months later...

Hi Phisci,

There seems to be a bug in Starlight Live that causes some stars to turn green if the defective pixel removal box is selected in the stacking tab, especially with the LSX2c.  Paul is aware of it and I'm sure will correct it in a future version.  A work around is to take dark frames and shut the DPR off.

Don

Archived